Best sort of drill for garden DIY?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Noosner View Post
    Right - I have bought my drill!! It is a cordless 18V combi Lithium battery Hitachi and I bought it at Screwfix this afternoon. It's 1.6kg so is nice and light.

I nearly bought a Makita, Bill H, but then veered onto the Hitachi because it was a better price, lighter weight at 1.6kg and also it was GREEN, My fave colour!!

I have already predrilled and started putting my cold frame together, with the wonderful power assisted screwdriver facility and it is immensely satisfying not to have to petition Mr Noosner to help, lovely and helpful though he is.

I can't wait to make some raised beds! And no doubt many other things.

Thanks a million, everyone. I wouldn't have known what to get without all your advice and me and my new drill are going to be very happy together, I just know it.

p.s. I bought a De Walt set of drill bits too.
    Well how about that I also have an Hitachi cordless drill and I rate it very highly. It came with a cordless torch that uses the same battery and I use that all the time. At least my fear of you buying a "Cheapo Whizzo" drill have not materialised. Its a good drill and will serve you well. One tip when driving in a screw is to drill a small pilot hole because powering in a screw can easily split the wood. Also avoid driving screws in too far till the head is almost out of sight, its easy done.
    photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
      Well how about that I also have an Hitachi cordless drill and I rate it very highly. It came with a cordless torch that uses the same battery and I use that all the time. At least my fear of you buying a "Cheapo Whizzo" drill have not materialised. Its a good drill and will serve you well. One tip when driving in a screw is to drill a small pilot hole because powering in a screw can easily split the wood. Also avoid driving screws in too far till the head is almost out of sight, its easy done.
      Thanks Bill! Yes, I decided to buy summat decent in the end, as I thought it was more likely that I'd find pleasure in the work and therefore be tempted to try more projects...

Thanks for the tips, much apprec. I found yesterday that the low speed setting helps avoid driving the screw in too far. And I have been good and have been drilling all my pilot holes, though I can see there is a massive temptation not to! Found out by trial and error that if you keep the drill going as you pull it out, that seems to remove the wood debris from the hole. Also it seems a good idea to make the pilot hole narrower than the intended screw... it's mostly logic, really, isn't it and not rocket science as I used to think in my pre-drill days... *eyes film over in pity for that former deluded self*
      Last edited by Noosner; 11-07-2014, 10:09 AM.
      My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

Yes the drill needs to be smaller than the screw or the screw will just fall out lol. Now you need a good jig saw, spirit level, and a square. Then the sky is the limit.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-cj...saw-240v/80801
        Last edited by Bill HH; 11-07-2014, 11:03 AM.
        photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

You will soon be on the advanced stuff Noosner

He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Brilliant, BB!

Yes, Bill, and the guy in Screwfix said I would soon be back for a saw bench...

Comment

Careful!you're well on your way to a second addictive hobby, collecting garage toys

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app
              Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

You'll be putting me out of a job soon................
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Nice. I've got drill envy.

Comment

I had this one, I loved it but my dad wanted it back

It was brilliant for all the jobs I had in the garden last year and it has a little light on the bottom so you can carry on working as the dark comes in. Think I might have to buy one, or throw my dad down the stairs so I can inherit his again. Hey money's tight

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Cordle...ef=pd_sxp_f_pt
                    If you want to view paradise
                    Simply look around and view it.

Comment

That would be the drill in #7 then. Nice one, to stop over driving screws practice with the torque settings, saves a heck of a lot of messing about.

You will now have to be very careful or you'll be back to Screwfix and coming away with an overloaded credit card and arms full of goodies.
                      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RedThorn View Post
                        Careful!you're well on your way to a second addictive hobby, collecting garage toys

What's the old saying RT ........ He who dies owning the most toys is the winner think I may be a contender
                        Last edited by bearded bloke; 11-07-2014, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Mine's been culled through moving country three times

Working hard on restoring the balance though
                          Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Luckily I have no garage, only a shed, so that keeps me in check (bit frustrating, though!)

Comment

Surprising what you can get in a shed. My 12ft x 8ft is that packed I have to move stuff to get to the benches and work.
                              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

^^^ proper shed

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X