No announcement yet.

Ants!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a ridiculous number of ants too and I usually have to tolerate them as the numbers if nests are so vast. I am however convinced that when they form under some plants ,they have killed them in the veg patch.The chickens don't seem to want to eat them but we do get regular visits from a beautiful green woodpecker which eats them off the lawn.
    Gardening forever, housework whenever!

Comment

I don't have massive amounts of ants, can't find the nest, but they've already covered all my apple trees with baby aphids (or eggs - can't really tell). I hate them!

Comment

I believe there is a nematode treatment for ants available but I can't remember where I saw it

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
        don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
        remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Nemasys no ants available for ant control ( it says in lawns) safe for pets and kids , unless you have pet ants presumably

Comment

Pet ants...like that snakeshack!aren't there cartoon films about ants too?

Comment

Ants!

Seriously there are people who keep leaf cutter ants as pets! Personally I like to stick to something more normal ( snakes, lizards & a tarantula at the mo)

Pet ants available from ants.co.uk just in case you think it's a wind up.
              Last edited by snakeshack; 26-03-2014, 10:59 PM.

Comment

I had a nest in the top of one of my Dalek composters, and found them utterly fascinating, every day I lifted the lid to watch their progress. On hot days they brought out thousands of eggs or larvie and arranged them in rows to cool down. They did no harm to me or my garden that I could tell and when they dissapeared the compost was the finest I have ever seen. So I say leave em alone.
                photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

I don't mind ants in the garden its those that came to live in the kitchen one summer that I didn't like.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I think they are fascinating creatures but I just can't stand them in my garden- I honestly have no idea why, they don't bother me anywhere else (parks, other peoples gardens etc)

Comment

We have loads of ants in the garden and in a row of veg sometimes I find that a plant fails and there is an ants nest underneath. Happened too often to be a coincidence. The one advantage is that we have a beautiful green woodpecker that frequently visits to eat them off the lawn.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X