No announcement yet.

not always wood! dont dismiss ,,,,,,,,,,

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes a rivet would do but that would require drilling , my idea was just because of the simplicity of it, no power tools needed, you could use nuts and bolts too, but again you would need to drill, i had another idea today too, but that is in the pipe line, yeh pipe line is apt too! you know how people use bottles cut and upturned in the ground for watering??? im thinking of an idea for the more elderly or,,, like myself,,,,,,people who like to make things easier for themselves, in effect it would be a 4m piece of 100mm pvc pipe cut into 8 pieces of 50cm with a red pipe cap on the bottom with a hole drilled in it, i would bury this maybe 20cm in the ground leaving 30cm protruding but i would have drilled a small hole in the pvc pipe about 25cm from the bottom, so when water comes out of the hole i can see there is enough water in it, the whole thing would look like a smarties tube with the lid on upside down with the bottom (which is now the top) cut of to allow filling with a hole drilled in the lid to alloow dripping and a hole drilled in the side about 5cm above ground level so that i can see the water level,, and all this is just because i like stuff to look uniform, i dont like the look of my random upturned bottles in my garden, i know its a bit extreme but hey im innovative and in the trade and the things will be reuseable for forever, but it is just and ide for now, i might use 80mm pipe?

Comment

If you buried the pipe, with weep holes at intervals along it, and kept both ends above ground level. you could water more area with a single fill.
      I'm just silly old biddy who has daft ideas

Comment

indeed you could vc, never thought of that?

Comment

Now, bretty, I'm not sure whether that's genuine surprise or not. There are some Grapes who would just be mocking me - I hope you're not that sort

Comment

There are some Grapes who would just be mocking me - I hope you're not that sort
            No VC, but we have him booked on a course...he looks promising...
            (Interesting bit of lateral thinking there, by the way, VC.)

Do you know what Bretty, I've spent so much time burying hoover and washing machine hoses,, always having problems getting the water to pour out of a bucket into the pipe ends...and I never once thought of an upright piece of pipe to pour into. And me with a bad back...!
            I can see you are going to be handy to have around. (Just watch out for the Nutty Grapes. They're a bad lot. )
            I thought I was being clever making a funnel out of the top of a plastic drinks bottle. Well, you can see how I got to have a bad back...just not inventive enough !
            Last edited by snohare; 22-08-2013, 11:27 AM. Reason: Creativity in the pipeline
            There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

I've used it, for building a wall to block up an archway. I wish I hadn't, there's too much movement in it and it's cracking the plaster.

Comment

no vc, no mocking intonnations intended! chris, to block an arch way correctly you would need to cut small v's into the top track so that the track could follow the arch, then double crimp your rails, most people double their rails to facilitate the insertion of insulation as you buy a 1.2m roll then cut in half to 60cm which is the spacing of your rails!and makes a stronger structure and rails are used to reduce movement(like wood ageing and twisting), i dont see why it had movement in it though? i know when screwing your board in you need good screws otherwise you just "push the rail" and cracking the plasterboard! i fear you may not have done it right? did you use a scrim or caleco paper joint to do your joints??
                i was looking for something earlier i think it was for vc's carrots, i know what the stuff is in french and i can find it so easy and cheap over here but i couldnt even find it on an english site earlier, but i think in english it is conduit?(it is ribbed , normally goes underground to pass electrical cable in and normally comes in red, green, blue,or yellow) you get a 25m 40mm roll for about 15€ so you could cut this up intp 25cm pieces and have 100 * 25 pieces of carrot growing tube? or you could buy a 90° junction then drill a few holes along the length of your "conduit" bury it with the 90° angle facing up then insert a 40mm connector and about 50cm of pipe for ease of watering?
                i am tempted to take my electrical pump out my well and make an archimedes screw but, i think after a long day of hard work i might not enjoy it?

Comment

i am tempted to take my electrical pump out my well and make an archimedes screw but, i think after a long day of hard work i might not enjoy it?
                  I can see this doing well (pardon the pun !) if the power fails due to too many comets falling into the sun, but I think as things are, at the end of the day you would probably end up thinking of it as a tiresome screw-up, Bretty ! Perhaps a shaduf would be easier ?
                  shadoof: Definition from Answers.com
                  Or a siphon ?
                  There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

or maybe just one of those old town square hand pumps? i think i have one lying around here somewhere, well, i know i have, but i dont know what condition it is in and where i have left it ? i ripped it out the main house before renovating, its what the old owners used for mains water!! its just that i have to plug my pump in through my kitchen window, not always convenient!,

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X