Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know about grey water systems?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know about grey water systems?

Wasn't sure where to post this. Has anyone got experience with this. We're getting a new kitchen fitted this year, I wonder if it's a goof time to try and do some thing green with greywater, collecting and using the water from the sink for the garden?

Would love some advice. Our budget is very tight so if it's costly we might have to fit it retrospectively.

If you just want to save water from your kitchen sink its not worth trying to be too clever IMO. Put a watering can under the hot tap to catch the cold water as its warms up. You can use that anywhere - even flushing the loo. Use a washing up bowl in the sink and throw the water outside instead of down the sink - but if you're anything like me it will be full of bits of veg and gunk and they'll land on your plants and look yuk! I don't do this!! Veg peeling water goes on the garden though.

Comment

If you want to have a proper grey water system then you need to link up the rain water drainage on the roof into (usually) a tank. This water can then be used for any non-potable water requirements eg toilet flushing etc. As VC said, if you're just talking about linking it to the kitchen sink then it's not going to be a great volume and can be easily collected manually - other people may disagree though so see what the consensus is.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Rabbit, I collect rainwater from the roof for flushing toilets. Its not cheap to install as you need a storage tank (mine's underground) and a pump to bring the water back into the house. Its really only worth doing for a new build or major rebuild as I had. If you want to save water tackle the small things first - have meter, don't brush your teeth with running water, and catch all the water you can in water butts for the garden.

Comment

I don't know if I am missing the point of the OP but I believe grey water is usually collected from bath water using something like --- Bath Water Diverter | Nigel's Eco Store ------ as opposed to kitchen water due to the kitchen water containing food waste , grease etc.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

just out of interest, Prince Charles' bath water at his house up in Deeside is diverted to the garden. Hope he doesn't pee in the bath. That would mean the royal wee being included .

Comment

Does he water his peas with it?

Comment

is that a serious q?

Comment

everyone will now be watching our p's and q's

Comment

Just being polite - and minding them.......

Comment

And another thread gets tangentised..............
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                      -----------------------------------------------------------
                      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

wisnae me, my comment was surely legitimate. My little wee joke just added some humour.

Comment

We likes a larf, doan wee, we's not taking the p*ss, 'onest.
                          For the record, BigM, I have already given 2 sensible answers - and that is about my limit before my mind starts to stray

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                            just out of interest, Prince Charles' bath water at his house up in Deeside is diverted to the garden. Hope he doesn't pee in the bath. That would mean the royal wee being included .
                            Don't know about Birkhall, but at Highgrove there is a reed bed sewage system, so all waste water is reclaimed. But reed bed systems are expensive to maintain, need to be redone every 7 years or so, and you need to keep vaccinations up to date. Oh, and you do need a LOT of land.
                            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                            Endless wonder.

Comment

Nowt so fancy at Birkhall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X