Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• veg man
    replied
    I hope i have this right you dont need the fancy grow bulbs just an ordinary fluorescent bulb will do please correct me if im wrong it will save a fortune Thank you

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Thought I would put a white cloth over the top, to reflect the light downwards. I started with a tinfoil ready meal dish but it didn't sit very well on the light.
    Modified this to a white plastic tray from the Scandinavian shop (99p) since its exactly the same size as the box

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
    Will the wavelength of the light you are using make much difference?
    I've absolutely no idea
    Two pots of lettuce sown and I'll do a test to see which grows the better - in or out of the Box!

Leave a comment:

• redser
    replied
    If they are cool whites they'll be good for vegetive growth

Leave a comment:

• smallblueplanet
    replied
    Are you ready for this? The VC/BluePeter version of a Lightbox thingy!
    Take one collapsible plastic crate, some spare mirror tiles and small mirrors from Freecycle, a plastic box and a worklight. Put them together ...
    Thought I would put a white cloth over the top, to reflect the light downwards. I started with a tinfoil ready meal dish but it didn't sit very well on the light.
    Will the wavelength of the light you are using make much difference?

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    I blame you for it all, BigM. If you hadn't started this off this morning, I wouldn't have spent the day scouring the house and shed for bits and pieces - I could have done something useful like hoovering instead

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    Originally posted by redser View Post
    That's the way, I use books, some things grow faster than others.
    Nah, you'll never grow a book...........

Leave a comment:

• redser
    replied
    That's the way, I use books, some things grow faster than others.

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    Thanks The light has been on for a couple of hours and its just warm. I can raise the pots up to right under it by putting bits of wood or tiles under the pots. I'll start 2 pots of lettuce - put one under the light and the other on the window sill and see if it makes any difference

Leave a comment:

• redser
    replied
    Fair play to you that's great Just one warning, they will stretch for that light if it's too far away. If you can find a way to get them right up there they'll be happy. I dont know if your tube is cool running so just watch for any scorching just in case. They should be barely warm if they are cool whites. Defo worth a Blue Peter badge I reckon

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    Are you ready for this? The VC/BluePeter version of a Lightbox thingy!
    Take one collapsible plastic crate, some spare mirror tiles and small mirrors from Freecycle, a plastic box and a worklight. Put them together and;-

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• redser
    replied
    Yours are much bigger than mine, redser
    Trying to be serious now - would a longer tube need a higher wattage?
    I honestly dont know VC. You could make up a really small box and try your light keeping it just above the seedlings. But as they grow I think it would definately not be strong enough.
    As for lining the box, you could even use sheets of printer paper. I've taped A3 sheets on to windows behind plants to reflect the daylight back and it worked a treat. When you see white, you are seeing the full spectrum reflected so it's very simple but very effective.

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    Originally posted by darcyvuqua View Post
    Very interesting thread as I was just looking into buying grow lights!
    Have you broke down the cost in making one if so can you post BM?
    if its viable i might have a bash at one too
    From my OP Darcy, the tubes are £21, a 3m length of 32mm pipe, 2 elbows & 2 T's about £5, a couple of quid for a length of chain ......that's just a guesstimate. Obviously it can be as cheap or expensive as you wish.

£76 for this 4ft one:
    Google Image Result for http://www.thegardensuperstore.co.uk/acatalog/rootit-grow-lights-system-large-4-feet-small.gif
    Last edited by Bigmallly; 04-01-2013, 12:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• darcyvuqua
    replied
    Very interesting thread as I was just looking into buying grow lights!
    Have you broke down the cost in making one if so can you post BM?
    if its viable i might have a bash at one too

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    Originally posted by redser View Post
    Worth a bash VC. Although I think 8w will be too low. I think mine are 60
    Yours are much bigger than mine, redser
    Trying to be serious now - would a longer tube need a higher wattage?

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X