Looking for high-quality, durable outdoor furniture recommendations

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for high-quality, durable outdoor furniture recommendations

I'm ready to make a decent investment into some outdoor furniture, all the more that during the winter there might be some good discounts.
    I want to put my money towards a long-lasting, high-quality product that serves a great aesthetic purpose for my outdoor spaces, not like the one from Costco.

After doing some preliminary research, I am gravitating towards rattan furniture, given its durability and stylish looks. I've found a few options like this:
    https://www.gardencentreshopping.co....ttan-sofa-sets that I'm currently considering.

However, before taking the plunge, I thought gathering perspectives from you guys would be beneficial.
    If any of you have experience with rattan furniture or any other types that top its quality, your insights would be highly appreciated.

My immediate thoughts are,I wouldn’t have the glass,I’ve seen those glass table tops shatter,mum had one that was in her conservatory for a few years,then one day last year she heard a bang,went in there & glass all over the floor,I googled it & theres people with their glass table tops shattered outside on the patio,glass is too delicate. I wouldn’t have marble table top either,it can crack after a few years,don’t lean on it,it’s sharp when it breaks. I’ve got heavy weight metal table & chairs My sister got a rattan outdoor set she keeps covered a lot,the sets seem more expensive but metal is stronger,that’s just my own thoughts,people think differently all the time,go with what you like & read reviews,I think rattan needs a bit more care to protect from the elements but that would be easy to do,get product for.

Comment

Not sure I'd buy synthetic rattan, neonplanet40, as my veg patch is at home, so any eventual degrading of the material would leave yet more plastic in my veg patch eventually.

My parents had wooden garden furniture that did alright for quite a long time till my dad got too old to keep up the maintenance. The neighbours now have it, and they've managed to revive it. So it's been going for quite some years now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
        My immediate thoughts are,I wouldn’t have the glass,I’ve seen those glass table tops shatter,mum had one that was in her conservatory for a few years,then one day last year she heard a bang,went in there & glass all over the floor,I googled it & theres people with their glass table tops shattered outside on the patio,glass is too delicate. I wouldn’t have marble table top either,it can crack after a few years,don’t lean on it,it’s sharp when it breaks. I’ve got heavy weight metal table & chairs My sister got a rattan outdoor set she keeps covered a lot,the sets seem more expensive but metal is stronger,that’s just my own thoughts,people think differently all the time,go with what you like & read reviews,I think rattan needs a bit more care to protect from the elements but that would be easy to do,get product for.
        I appreciate your insights.
        Metal does sound like a sturdy option thanks to its durability. Rattan pieces indeed require a bit more maintenance due to natural elements, but they offer a unique aesthetic appeal. I'll have to read some more reviews (that's what I've been doing for the past 3 days).

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
          Not sure I'd buy synthetic rattan, neonplanet40, as my veg patch is at home, so any eventual degrading of the material would leave yet more plastic in my veg patch eventually.

My parents had wooden garden furniture that did alright for quite a long time till my dad got too old to keep up the maintenance. The neighbours now have it, and they've managed to revive it. So it's been going for quite some years now.
          That's a valid point. Haven't thought about that.

I remember having wooden furniture in our backyard when I was growing up, it does have an appealing rustic quality.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	table.jpg
Views:	2169
Size:	353.1 KB
ID:	2572386
            Before I moved house, I had this garden table and chairs. In this picture it must be 10 years old or so and very dirty - it had a golden sheen when clean! It's made of lacquered aluminium alloy, so it can't rust, although the lacquer did eventually start to flake off here and there.

It was a wonderfully solid, heavy table but didn't look it because of the woven design. I would definitely recommend this style of garden furniture.
            Attached Files
            My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
            Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I was torn between rattan and metal when I bought my set last year, and after much deliberation went for a metal (powder coated aluminium) set.
              It' feels solid but is light, easy to clean and move, and I like the clean lines which match my glass veranda.
              That's the one I got https://www.thegardenrange.co.uk/p/g...ofa-set-white/

Comment

That looks nice, MelanieSW. I take your point about being easier to clean than woven rattan. I'm not in the market for garden furniture just yet, but will bear that point in mind.

Comment

Interesting thread.
                  We went for wooden, and although it needs more care and protection from the weather, I’m glad we did . Mainly because, for us, in the height of summer the metal can get really hot - enough to burn ( as was experienced by a friend on her furniture ) It was impossible to eat off her metal table too but it was in direct sunlight….
                  A good hardwood which is lightly oiled regularly with thick cushions would be my option.
                  A stained wooden table top is easily sanded down before oiling again …
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X