No announcement yet.

Decent Garden Tools?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late to the party as ever, is that still fashionable?

Anyway great advice about holding it in your hand, also for things like forks the length will make a difference in leverage. Remember when you heave back on the handle the blade/tines are likely to be already in the ground. You don't want to be bending more than you have to. Many quality tools are longer for that reason.

Stainless is good and far less prone to flexing, i have 'ordinary' steel spades that boing about when launched at hard ground and visibly flex when you haul back on them. But they are lighter to hold!

Hoes, Stainless steel looks nice and maintaines that look. But grinding a sharp adge on it takes a power tool and re-applying a knife edge is a chore, although it will be less often that a thin steel blade. Many years ago I used an old hoe with a thin blade made from an old saw, it was light, hardy, slid through the soil and weeds very easily and held an edge well. I found a lightweight steel shafted thin bladed hoes for Carol, I have to say I often use it myself. You can't chop hard with it, but for routive hoeing it's worderful.

Also, if you buy nice wooden shafted tools do yourself a favour, sand off the nasty finish and apply raw linseed oil, you can reapply it every couple of years and the grip/feel is wonderful whilst the lengevity will be all you are likely to need.

Comment

I find a pro builders shovel good for nasty bramble roots. It will cut through an inch thick root without hesitation and has been used for many awful jobs over many years.
      Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

There's a lot to be said for a pointed shovel (US style) if digging in really stoney, hard ground, roots etc - especially if you put a really strong, long handle on it, as you can get a lot more cut through with less applied force and better leverage, than a standard spade.

Comment

I have got one of those pointed shovels too.
          Both types have there jobs.
          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

If you are facing some agressive digging I have found a digging hoe or Adze very handy, it also makes potato trenching and ridging a doddle. If the ground is hard or the weeds particularly large, it can cut through with a decent swing. Not recomended for those that have shoulder problems if you have to raise it high!
            One of my better purchases.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X