No announcement yet.

The "CLUNNEL" wind funneling - soil drying - mobile cloche

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the difference between your idea and that of the cloche?

Comment

GL - If you search google for "Geoff Hamilton Cloche" you get a design (dimensions) very close to my 'Clunnel' so it nothing new...

However I think my design has identified some new key elements and improvements. These new elements are that the opens ends along with the pedestals make the cloche "pivotable" so we can open & close it depending on its role. Also a lower overall height works best for trapping heat. The frilled valence of the 15% oversized cover also helps to feather incoming wind or trap soil radiant heat.
      Its uses less parts is lighter more mobile and a more robust design able to last more than a couple of seasons.

Five+ functions
      (across the growing season)
      + Soil dryer
      + Seed bed Cover
      + Catch crop mini-greenhouse (globe raddishes)
      + Squash Arch (hooked onto compost bin)
      + Overwintering crop - bird protection
      + Wind brake (when turned 90 degrees & staked)
      * suited to 3x5 (paces) "Clump" growing approach
      ** directs rainfall into gulleys around clump

New elements to design identified thru yearly re-adapting the design over the last 4 years...
      - lower profile, 12" arch at highest point
      - 30" smaller width is more managable
      - Joined run of Clunnels like a roman "testudo" sort of
      - Open-ends is a counter intuitive part of design
      - 6 inch legs on each corner make design pivotable
      - Hermitically "sealing" your plants like the GH Cloche design is flawed
      - reduced parts & build time. Improved robustness.

As fantastic as glass is its heavy & a safety issue with allotments becoming weekend escapes for familues. Also the rise of "compensation culture", the personal cost of litigiousness means its becoming a consideration.

Sorry for the essay...
      Last edited by no_akira; 29-02-2020, 09:10 AM.

Comment

I agree with not having glass around - particularly not safe for a big lively dog and a visually impaired garden helper... not to mention the occasional rampaging heifer!

Comment

Originally posted by Angeldon View Post
          I agree with not having glass around - particularly not safe for a big lively dog and a visually impaired garden helper... not to mention the occasional rampaging heifer!
          I think that depends on circumstances?
          I have had 2 glass greenhouses for many years. I also have two kids and have always had dogs - they've all been trained not to enter my veg plot. Thankfully only once have I had a bull and a couple of cows in the garden and they must have known better too

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X