Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
    Does a garage count as a shed?

I have come to the conclusion that saving stuff because it might be useful in the future is pointless.
    In general you can't find it when required.
    Better to bin it and buy new if and when the need arises.
    What do you think.
    Jimmy
    Yes - a garage used as you describe is definitely a type of shed.

Secondly, although I know where you are coming from with the last part of your comment I have to disagree. There is a line to be drawn between hoarding stuff and useful junk, but in practice its not that easy a distinction to make. I have been in the position of knowing I have something for example and not being able to find it. On the other hand I recently re-used a motor off a garden shredder someone gave me about 15 years ago to power a large belt sander which I bought cheaply because the motor wasn't working.

For me a bit of organization of my "useful junk" is one answer - I've been trying to get all the small stuff up on shelves and in some order, chuck anything which has deteriorated or whatever away and finally repair any odds and ends so that they can either be sold or used.

I've also built a new lean-to open ended shed which is now the store for all the bits of woodworking timber and plywood so I have cleared most of that out of my main workshop too. I built that new one out of all second-hand materials except for a bit of preservative and a few screws, so it only cost a few pounds and my time ( forgot to add that to my list of sheds)

Comment

I think for the purposes of this thread a shed is any outdoor structure used for tools and storage, but not for cars. (after all a steam engine shed is a shed, and that's a bit bigger than most garages).

You can store too much (I know I do)

I think the trick is to keep things that a generally useful (and that you have the skills and wherewithal to make use of) - wood is a pretty much a given, metal will depend on your tools and skills - or things that are difficult to replace - eg specific spare parts not easily available

Comment

What I'd really like is a 7 x 5 pent shed. Happy sigh.

Comment

heh! well if we are getting into dream sheds...

Actually, the big thing I'd like is a bit more roofspace so I can put all my netting up there (huge bulk, low weight)

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            There are some on here who should consider it - as they're always moaning that their OH won't let them grow things on the windowsills.
            Its only the lack of running water that's putting me off...
            sigpic
            1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X