Attempting giant onions for 2015

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ash25 View Post

Anyone else got any pictures I can compare to who's doing giant onions this year?
    AP is the man on onions, and I think chilli grower was trying to give a run for his money fingers crossed they will be along later

Comment

Originally posted by hamesy View Post
      They are really flying along. How many do you have all together?
      Hi Hamesy, I think there are 27 plants altogether, but 4 of them were sowed a few weeks after and are still small, and 2 or 3 not doing as well, so got about 20 good ones going so far.

Ill probably be sowing another 30-40 seeds at the beginning of February but these will end up in large pots in the greenhouse and then garden to hopefully give me a decent set of medium sized onions come August.

Comment

Hi guys, update on the onions for you. Had to pick out my best 15 plants to keep in the grow chamber and put the rest on the window sill to make room for some tomatoes and chillis I've sowed.

Really need the weather to improve and warm up soon as the onions are desperate for some natural light and starting to get a little leggy. Spent the day today bubble wrapping all the greenhouse for insulation, and ordered a 150m electric tube heater to put in there and see if it can keep the chill off on the nights. Could really do with getting them out into the proper light in March if I can keep the temps right.

Anyway some more pics on my blog of the best few plants so far...

https://greenfinger25.wordpress.com/

Comment

Some more pics and an update uploaded to my onion blog. All still doing really well and thinned them down to my final 12 now which will hopefully go out into the onion bed in the greenhouse in a couple of weeks. Also some pics of the tomatoes and carrots which are just starting to come through.

Comment

Finally got around to wiring up the greenhouse heater and getting the onions out into their final bed in my greenhouse. Details and recent pics can be seen on thee olde blog...

Comment

Has the baby arrived?

Comment

He/she is due on Thursday :/

How did you know we had one on the way? lol

Comment

I've a good memory..

Comment

Ahhh right, have I mentioned it in a previous post? lol

Comment

Been a while since I've had chance to post any updates but the baby is having a nap so here goes haha...

Largest onion so far is measuring at 13.25" in circumference, and 3 or 4 within 2" of this and still putting on 1.5-2.5" per week, so should end up with a decent set all being well.

Not really hit any problems yet, no botrytis or anything other than a few at the back being restricted of light so their growth has been stunted a bit. Also 2 of them at the back have thrown a seed head up, gonna try and get some seeds from these for next year.

Heres a pic of the 13.25 incher...

More pictures on my blog if anyones interested...

Hows everyone else getting on with their onions?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X