X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First of the oca (new zealend yams)

Thought id share a pic of some Oca i grew . Pictured is one plants harvest

Found them tasty roasted with a drop of honey

Kept some tubers back for next years planting :-)
    Attached Files

Well done!

I've never tasted one- what is the flavour like???
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

WEll done indeed,they look a lovely color and healthy,are they like artichokes
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

they taste like potatoes but a bit lemony. I eat one raw it was quite zingy. They come in other colours to i think .

Comment

I didn't dig mine up last year - they've been ground cover this year!
          I'd heard they should be left for a month after frost, when they fatten up. I'm sure someone will be along to confirm this or tell me I'm making it up as usual

Comment

Now the crucial thing is that tubers only start to grow when days start to shorten, in November. It is vital to leave the plants a good week or more after they are completely killed killed by frost. We have found that even after the leaves have died down, food is pulled back into the growing tubers as the stems die down. (Taken from Realseeds) how to grow and harvest oca tubers

I am sure I have read somewhere that you are not meant to eat them fresh (within 24hrs of digging up) due to oxalic acid (or some similar sounding such thing).
            Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 09-12-2014, 05:58 PM.

Comment

They look a bit like fat pink witchety grubs don't they?

I grew the yellowish ones.....actually I grew a mixture but only the yellowy ones grew. Anyway, if left out on a windowsill they mellow somewhat and seem to sweeten slightly.
              I realise that sounds disgusting but it improved the flavour, honest
              http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I go for a fortnight after the first proper frost - which was only last week here. Apparently, if you cook them a little bit past "soft" they will lose some of the lemonyness.

My top growth has looked brilliant this year (no collapsing or producing top tubers) so I am hoping for a good crop. I start next year's in pots in the polytunnel about the end of January and then plant out when the weather gets going.
                "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Oca

They're actually really good. I can't grow them in my climate, but a friend sent me some up ( from Melbourne)earlier in the year--some large, some seed tubers to trade.

Hard to describe the flavour. I rolled mine in a mixture of flour and onion powder, and deep fried them. Delicious! They ook much faster than potatoes and when cooked, are nowhere near as firm.

There are red and purple varieties but I've not tried them.

Attached Files

Comment

I've got pink&white and peach growing for this year. You can eat the leaves too, they taste like sorrel. The tubers are nice raw too - very crunchy. I have some in a bag for the greenhouse just in case the frosts come early.
                    http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

I'm from New Zealand and growing up there we used to eat these all the time, they're particularly good roasted with olive oil and a bit of honey. This year I obtained a few tubers and am growing them on my allotment, really excited to try them again!

Comment

Looking to have a crack at growing these next year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X