No announcement yet.

Pumpkins 2013

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's my best so far, each plant must have 4 or 5 on though, will remove some next weekend.
    Attached Files

Comment

This isn't the latest pic but taken a few days ago
      It's a bit bigger now and I'll post a pic later this week
      Attached Files
      Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/TASallotment

Comment

Can I join in?

The plant is incredible growing in all directions and this is the first fruit to set properly, it is about the size of a galia melon. Now about 4 or 5 smaller ones on there. But I think this is the keeper.
        Attached Files
        While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Comment

*bump*

Couldn't find the other thread... so here's my progress report:

Have to say, my seeds from realseeds (thelma sanders, and blue banana) are the forerunners in how large the vines are and fruit per plant. Themla sanders, I've 10 and 7 fruits on two plants (only planted two as I wanted to taste them before growing more), they're large, and look stunning (must take some photos!).

The blue bananas, there is no WAY I'm going to be able to lift them alone. Their site says two foot long, my plot says 3, at least. Looking forward to cutting this one up - though might draw some eyes on it and a blow hole too, as I'm thinking of naming one in particular "Moby".

I have a *load*, too many to count butternuts playing catch up now, I hope they're going to ripen in time, but they're "hunter" I believe. I keep saying it, but I really do need to start the butternuts off earlier than I normally do my squash as they always seem to take the longest to mature.

My Black Futsu (whose vines I like, as the leaves are soft and practically spineless ) are again small this year, which makes me believe they are quite small fruit anyway. They tasted quite nice last year, but I harvested them too early.

My Franchi Padana are enormous - I hope they retain their taste..

Snowman Squash are football size and pure white- Might carve one for halloween (well, for the kids anyway, rather than halloween ). They look great, so thanks to thea I believe for those seeds.

Blue Hubbard are, erm warty. Large, warty, and blue-y. Hope the taste is better than their looks - but again large size.

I can't get access to the rest of varieties I'm growing, the vines are so large I can't see beneath my feet and do not want to damage them!

All in all, a very good year for me (if they ripen ). The only thing I've done differently this year, was to feed where my comfrey was growing with nettle tea that I had in the garage from the previous year, and I lined the holes where I planted my squash with the young comfrey leaves that were growing at the time of planting... taking the idea from zazen999 who cuts up comfrey and mixes it with the potting mix for her tomatoes.. though I couldn't be bothered to cut.

Rather chuffed so far!

Ooh, just remembered another - Jarrahdale - they're growing wild too, still forming new fruit - I'm growing this one as a taste test against Crown Prince - as I'm trying to find a nice OP var that tastes as close to CP as possible (sorry, I know I bat on about it, but really, for me they're the best tasting squash I've ever had ).

Comment

This is the first pumpkin I've ever carved, it took 20 mins with a serrated paring knife and a metal spoon

I think it's a Mars: the skin isn't as thick & tough as some of the regular Hallowe'en pumpkins

Attached Files
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Having missed the virtual show for heaviest pumpkin. I weighed this fella last night before carving. He was 22.8KG before gutting (a little over 50lb in old money).

My lil' un likes pirates. Cannibal pirates.

I used a pairing knife, spoon and..... my wood working chisels.

Edit: Took a few hours and I managed it without injury. This time.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by daviddevantnhisspiritwife; 30-10-2013, 06:27 PM.
              While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X