No announcement yet.

Running our village show: 2011

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wellie, good luck with your organisation, just thought I'd add two comments about our local organisation as they might be useful to ponder... (I enter but am not on the organising side...):

a) the local Gardener's Association here organise two shows a year, the main village show in early September (with all the sort of categories you've mentioned) and a fairly simple Spring Flower one (mainly daffs) in a couple of weeks time. The Spring Flower one (can send you the schedule if of interest) is kept very simple, you simply turn up at the village hall at 7 p.m. with your exhibits and put them on the appropriate numbered table (some are in your own container, some in an association holder, as specified on the schedule). All exhibits are numbered and everyone attending votes for their favourite in each category and that's how the "winner" of each category is determined. No prizes, you get a card First, Second Third, that's it. I suppose you could vote for yourself but it's only a fun thing so people do spot and vote for the "best". I'll try to put a photo on from last year... The important thing is to get lots of entries....

b) the Village Show is a much more serious event with judges etc (they used to have prize money but it became rather insignificant so now is only on the children's sections....) But the point I wanted to pass on here was an organisational one which might be of interest... A few years ago you had to register your intended entries before the day of the Show but that was found to be off-putting and the number of entries started to reduce quite drastically so the organisers changed the system so now you simply mount your exhibits on the morning of the show which is then closed for a few hours for judging and then opens up mid-afternoon... No prizes as such but there are several cups and shields for different categories (and I have won one just once, duh! that's my lot to date...). But what I wanted to add was when they did away with the the pre-registration they introduced a very simple and quick alternative method.... When you arrive to mount your stuff you give your name and are given 10 numbered tickets ("cloakroom tickets") and you simply put one under each of your entries.... You can go back and get another 10 tickets as many times as you need (and some enthusiasts might be doing veg, fruit, photographs, jams, breads, wine, knitting...! ) That makes the process so much easier and works (more or less! ) flawlessly. On the attached photo (tomato sections) you can see the cloakroom tickets... Simples! Once prizes determined the name of the person is put on the certificate, all other entries remain anonymous. The simple system has increased the number of entries significantly.
    Attached Files

Comment

bazzaboy, you are so kind with your reply.....

.....because I know that you know what you're talking about. The very first Village Show that I entered three or four years ago was on a 'what you entered on the day' basis, and I loved that passionately, because you didn't have to pay good money on entering something a week or so beforehand if it turned out to be total cr@p on the day of the show. You want to enter to the very best of your ability, naturally.

I have worries though for this year, my first year of running it, because if I change the format that's been in place for the last twenty years too much, there's bound to be upset, tears before bedtime, and then confusion on an enormously gigantically proportionate scale, and then I would have done more damage than good.

I would love to make contact with you, so do please feel free to PM me, and we'll converse further my friend. Thank You .X
      Last edited by wellie; 19-04-2011, 12:53 AM.

Comment

With all the balls being juggled in the air, I'm mindful of not dropping a single one now, but suffice to say that my Flobalobs (life-size Flowerpot Peeps - see avatar?) are about to star in my first Village Show Advertising Poster, once they are fit for the photo shoot with their new seasonal frocks'n'smocks.

Short of a few typewritten recipes for the 2011 Show Schedule, I'm ready to take it to the printers now.

Other than that, I'm starting to awaken at 2am with a veritable STEEPLECHASE of a brain on me:........

........'Sensibility' and 'Baldrick Ping Idea' are off on starters orders, with 'Haven't Got A Clue' coming up round the inside, followed by 'That Recipe Didn't Work' fell at the first....
        'Can't See The Wood For The Trees' is favourite, but last at the post is 'What's A Memory Stick?'

I apologise. I like making myself laugh, and it keeps things in perspectives for the day ahead.X
        Last edited by wellie; 19-04-2011, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Today was the day when Fert'n'Liza Flobalob were due to have their Passport photographs taken for The Itton Village Produce Show Poster, to advertise The Show for Saturday 2nd July (so put it in your diary RIGHT NOW, and just turn up. Okay?)

And today, was the day that the bloke that was supposed to be taking the photograph, forgot that he was supposed to be doing that!

Welcome to Wellie's Land of Dibley Children?! And is it any wonder that Wellie is completely BONKERS to even attempt to take over organising her local Village Produce Show?
          I'm having SUCH a good time....

Just bringing The Show Schedule together is a learning curve, but once you've put your own initial signature on that, without hopefully, upsetting too many people, I'm having such wonderful conversations with people now that I've not yet met, and they're dying to meet me, and I'm dying to meet them, and there's a whole new future just about to happen.

Don't be fooled though, Wellie's Village Spectacles never have, and never will have A Tint on them - not a Rose Tint in sight. I've lived in villages before, and I take as I find.
          This Village Show is about eight weeks away now. The Show Schedule is about to go to print, the advertising poster is almost on the table, we're smelling the Tea & Scones already, and it's just SO 'citing....X
          (and Woofster, I've not forgotten you Angel.X)

Comment

And having collected the Show Schedules from the printers yesterday, I took the very first 'hot off the press' copy to the very lovely Pat and Alan for them to absorb before the villagers get to see it.

And then one to my friend, and then I put one in the postbox of my next door neighbour, who, for some strange reason, tried to tear me off a strip because the entry fee, if you do enter a lot of classes, amounts to a lot of money, and some people have a problem with that? At which juncture I pointed out, that if people WANT to enter a lot of classes, yes it IS going to cost them a lot of money (at 30p a class), but it's their choice to enter. I myself entered 52 classes last year at 30 pence a time, all in aid of raising money for The Village Hall. Naturally, being 'on the defensive', anyone is at liberty to run the show and change the rules, to which, I was told that My Attitude was hardly the right one?

With reference to one of my favourite Chick Flicks, Love Actually, and not quoting verbatum, obviously(!), Wellie will not be bullied, and I think that other people should be prepared for that.....
            Last edited by wellie; 19-05-2011, 10:34 PM.

Comment

You'll have to forgive me typing my Itton Show update in 'stages', but I'm a creative bunny, and since this forum no longer (I can't find it?) has the Remember Me? button, I take WAY too long composing my threads/replies and I get unceremoniously chopped off at my knees every single time, and I don't like that what I've spent ages putting together for your entertainment, and my sanity, never reaches you. And until there can be a way round that found, I shall do smaller and more frequent updates for you.X so please do just bear with me on that score, thank you.
              Last edited by wellie; 19-05-2011, 10:37 PM.

Comment

At the crack of Sparrow 'art yesterday morning, the lovely gentleman that eventually took the poster photo of Fert'n'Liza did deliver 9x A4 posters on my doorstep, and I was SO excited, that I took them all round Cheppie Town Centre, magically getting peoples to agree to display them in their shop window/chemist/library AND a charity shop right by the traffic lights that are always red?! (high five Wellie, just 'put it there girlie' !!!!!!!)

Not having done anything remotely like this before, but being a real 'people person', and annoyingly always talking to the person in front or behind me in the supermeerkat queue, if I'm not already having a full-blown conversation with the gorgeous person at the actual till, of course.... it wasn't until I got back to The Funny Farm Children that the 'Spot The Deliberate Mistake' became evident.

So I did have to pick the phone up and tell my lovely gentleman that the vital information about the location of the event seemed to be missing from the poster. Absolutely no problem to either of us, and giggles were had. And living in a village, there's always a way to rectify these things before the woman next door breaks wind and everyone finds out about it. So hopefully, if we keep this little secret to ourselves Kids, no-one else should ever find out.
                And I shall very discreetly get the replacements to those gorgeous peeps who've taken the posters already, and pay for them to come visit the show from my own purse as a token gesture.

So that's my latest update to you for now.X
                Last edited by wellie; 19-05-2011, 10:13 PM.

Comment

And now, as Trousers and I bow out of your fabulous forum, we do hope that you'll occasionally look in on our blog to see what's happening here down on The Funny Farm, because you are most, most, welcome.X

And I shall continue to keep you updated on The Funny Farm, as to how everything is progressing with The Village Show.X

Comment

Wellie i hope your day went without a hitch and you had a great day

Comment

When you have had a rest and a huge glass of wine to relax, can we have an update? Hope the weather was good for you today to.
                      God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done. ~Author Unknown

http://twitter.com/#!/louisebriggs2
                      http://facebook.com/louise.briggs2
                      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...s/briggsy2011/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X