Unusual veggies2

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual veggies2

I had a post under hydrogardener and attempted to reply several times, but I seem to be locked out. After logging in and being welcomed; I can't reply, post, or anything at all. I wrote to the webmaster, but they did not reply. The site does not appear to be user friendly at all. In a final effort to respond to the nice folks who did ask about hydroponics, I registered under this user name. I don't intend to come back, so please do not respond.
    Before I move, on I let me at least answer a few of the questions regarding hydroponics.
    I have a blog that will answer most questions if you care to visit:
    Hydroponic Workshop
    Veggies grown hydroponically are superior to soil grown because they get all their nutrients delivered to them, and do not waste energy growing large root systems searching for nutrients. The commercially grown tomatoes are not grown for taste, but for profit. Picking and packing are the most important considerations, so they have thick skins and little juice. I grow the same tomatoes in the winter that I grow in the summer. Try the black cherry sometime. They are simply great!!!
    Hydroponics is not expensive. I build my own systems, and sometimes out of scrap materials. It is not labor intensive if you design your system to maintain itself. You only change the nutrients every two or three weeks. I can garden 365 days a year, and the variety is unlimited. For instance, I just started Yellow Australian leaf lettuce, Red Deer's tongue, and Mache Greens, and next week there will be other new varieties. New fluorescent grow lights allow any veggie to be grown with little energy expense. The photos associated with this post show lettuce in early December and a black cherry tomato I am growing now. We pick tomatoes from early July until early December. And, that is in upstate New York. Lettuce and other table greens we grow in the winter under grow lights, and in the spring, summer and fall in the greenhouse. Hydroponic media is reusable, so it is friendly to the environment.
    And to the webmaster, bah humbug.
    Attached Files
    No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth, no culture comparable to that of the garden. But though an old man, I am but a young gardener. - Thomas Jeffereson

http://hydroponicworkshop.blogspot.com/

Please don't disappear just yet. We have been plagued by spammers lately and you may have gotten caught up in that. Give the moderators an opportunity to explain before you ditch us. On the whole the vine is a superb community but sadly some people do spoil it a bit.

Welcome to the vine by the way - how is the weather in New York just now?

I might be getting a polytunnel soon so will be looking at hydroponics as an option for growing in that.
    Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 16-12-2008, 02:44 PM.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Yes, plus I want that holiday - ahem I mean research trip I mentioned.

Comment

I remember your first post and to be honest I thought you were a spammer/advertiser.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

When I log in I get a welcome then an invitation to log in! I always just click on calendar (good chance to check for birthdays,) then back on New Posts - this has been the case for ages. I just live with it!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
            When I log in I get a welcome then an invitation to log in! I always just click on calendar (good chance to check for birthdays,) then back on New Posts - this has been the case for ages. I just live with it!
            Strange, on the laptop at home I'm permanently logged in and on the works machine I just type in Alison and my password and it takes me straight in via a very brief welcome page but I don't need to click on anything at all. Weird how it's different for all of us.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Welcome on board. Maybe it is just a misunderstanding. Well, I like to try Hydroponic gardening if there is ecomonic way to do it.

Comment

Welcome to the vine hydrogardener3! It's always interesting to find out how other people grow their veg and maybe, given a chance, we can all learn from each other!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Economic hydroponics

Originally posted by chengjing View Post
                  Welcome on board. Maybe it is just a misunderstanding. Well, I like to try Hydroponic gardening if there is ecomonic way to do it.
                  I was curious to see if I was still being blocked so I stopped by to check.
                  Someone somewhere has decided that I can now post replies I don't know who, or why , but, thanks. Even my original user name is now active.

If you would like an idea of how to make an economic small system to experiment with, I placed a recent post on my blog that illustrates a system made from a used coffee container.

If you have an interest the blog can be found here:
                  Hydroponic Workshop

The photo included will give you an idea of how simple it is to build a system.
                  The Asters were started in September and have been blooming for sometime. I picked them all on 12/30/08.
                  Happy New Year.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by hydrogardener3; 01-01-2009, 03:39 AM.
                  No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth, no culture comparable to that of the garden. But though an old man, I am but a young gardener. - Thomas Jeffereson

Comment

Thanks for the blog. It is very interesting. Certainly worth trying.

Comment

Originally posted by chengjing View Post
                      Thanks for the blog. It is very interesting. Certainly worth trying.
                      You can start your seed in potting soil, or use a small plant from a nursery. You just have to CAREFULLY wash all the soil that you can off the roots. The clay pellets or pea gravel are just used to support the plant. Good luck

Comment

thanks, will read through again and acquire right ingredients. The plant I want to try first is Chinese water Spanish which does grow in pond, will be interesting.

Comment

You can pretty much grow anything you like, it does not have to love water. Plants grown hydroponically develop a different type of root system than plants grown in soil. If you have questions, or need help, leave a post on the blog and I will try to assist. The plant in the photo is Cassandra lettuce. It was started from seed on November 20, 2008 and most likely I will harvest it this week. Lettuce is a breeze to grow.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by hydrogardener3; 04-01-2009, 07:21 PM. Reason: typo in start date

Comment

Sounds really interesting, something to think about anyway
                            My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

I take it from the Folgers coffee tub you are not UK based! I really must find time to read your blog as I rather fancy growing lettuce this way.
                              Happy Gardening,
                              Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X