Giant Onion attempt

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giant Onion attempt

Well I'm in the middle of my annual attempt to grow some show onions and try to better my biggest of 6lb 10 oz.

Things aren't going brilliantly this year due to it being like Autumn and not having seen the sun for almost a month up here.

Anyway here are a couple of pics of my progress so far.

I'm keeping a record of my progress on my blog.

Giant onion attempt
    Attached Files
    Please have a look at my Veg Growing Diary.

allotment-diary.co.uk

Thanks.

wow those are fantastic ....... mine still look like blades of grass

Comment

Hmm, you've got Mr D jealous now Vegmandan!! Methinks he's gonna be a bit competitive on the onion front next year! Our personal best is currently at about 2 1/2lb this year!
      Blessings
      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
      Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
      Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
      On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

I just love growing huge onions. I don't show them, but for some reason a growing season is not a success unless I've grown a few real whoppers. My record so far was 4lb12oz, that was last year which for some reason was a great season for onions, even if everything else suffered from the waterlogging. This year I lost all my Mammoth onions when a bit of a family crisis meant that my greenhouse was left unattended for over a week. But having seen these pictures I'm inspired again........and very jealous.
        Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

I lke to grow a few Kelsae onions but the ones I have aren't as big as vegmandan's at this stage.

I must admit I don't mollycuddle them either.....I just let them get on with it.

I grew far too many last year and a lot were wasted (who wants to eat half a hundredweight of onions all at once) Tried freezing them but not impressed.

This year I only have about a dozen Kelsae. I've used the saved space to grow varieties that store well including a large silver skinned variety, normal onion sets and my favoured Ham onions including a red variety!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

My onions (and shallots) are a bit pathetic this year. I think I lavished too much attention on me peas and beans. Must try harder!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

vegmandan - this just shouldn't be allowed - your very neat and well-organised set-up!
              Looks great - I'm jealous - and I can see why you get such excellent results.

Well done!

Comment

what a biggun

what a biggun you have! never seen one that big before. whats your secret?

Comment

They look gorgeous!!
                  We will be growing mammoth onions next season too, so look out

If they are anywhere near as good as yours we will be thrilled to bits.

Wren

Comment

Can anyone help me with information regarding showing onions? Weight, circumference, dressing and presenting them? I have some nice sized ones and would like to show them in September.
                    Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X