Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first ever harvest!!!

Aside from rhubarb, that is

Planted some radish a couple of weeks ago or so, and thinned them out this morning.

Got quite a few! They were pretty small, but totally delish!

I boiled them, then laid them on a plate and slapped a load of butter and salt on top... even DD, aged 9, who has an aversion to anything to anything that doesn't begin with 'Ch' (read ; chips, chocolate etc ) loved them!

I made her try one, on the condition that if she really didn't like it she could spit it in the bin (which she almost always does!), and then she ended up eating another 4!!!

Here's the pic.. was soooo lovely to finally eat something i've grown!!!

Last edited by Beki; 27-05-2008, 11:08 AM.
    1 pony, 1 dog, 2 geese, 20-odd wild ducks, a friendly pheasant, chooks, 3 veg plots (in the garden), a polytunnel, 2 kids, and the OH

Am i mad?

Well done you, arent you lucky having all those animals, looking forward to seeing what you get next, must go and thin my radish out, i thought you could only eat them cold, your hot one look lovely.

Comment

feels good doesnt it?
      Yo an' Bob
      Walk lightly on the earth
      take only what you need
      give all you can
      and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Originally posted by bluebluepaula View Post
        Well done you, arent you lucky having all those animals, looking forward to seeing what you get next, must go and thin my radish out, i thought you could only eat them cold, your hot one look lovely.
        Ahhh.. i only found out today that you can eat them hot, after searching the net to see if you can eat the tops! lol. A happy accident really, as i'm not really keen on radish (neither's the OH, or anyone i know aside from my dad really!), but i grew it as i was getting a bit fed up of harvesting nothing yet.

So i boiled as per instructions i found, added butter and salt, and it was REALLY nice!

The hotness and bitterness disappeared, as did the dodgy texture! lol. The colour faded, and it tasted a bit like spinach. Very very nice.

So nice, in fact, i think i'm going to sow the rest of the radish packet this weekend for more yummy crops in a few weeks!

Never will i eat radish uncooked again!

And Yoanbob - it feels GREAT
        1 pony, 1 dog, 2 geese, 20-odd wild ducks, a friendly pheasant, chooks, 3 veg plots (in the garden), a polytunnel, 2 kids, and the OH

Am i mad?

Comment

Those look FANTASTIC!!!!
          Clever you

Are we all nipping over for lunch soon then???
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Well done, and thank you for reminding me to get some planted. Looks like I've got my evening sorted...

Great feeling, planting, growing, eating. Cheaper than drugs too.
            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Wondered what they were at first Then read the post . Never really liked radish's but always grow um for other people . Can't say iv tryed cooking them BUT im going to give that a try this year thanks ( 1st radishs bolted this year :/ ie chicken food now) Looks great Beki keep the pics coming.
              Blog

Hythe kent allotments

Comment

same here i didnt know you can cook them as well, must admit im an al dante person so i will hardly see the point for me but will try them on my 9 year old and see what he thinks

Comment

Looks good Beki. If I get too many for raw in salad I'll try that.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X