No announcement yet.

It's a Jungle out there!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alice, what a lovely garden. Some beautiful but i just love the custard lillies. Where did you buy the lily bulbs as thet are my favourite flower. Have lots of lilies but not that one.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Hello Bramble, the custard lilies are gorgeous but not actually lilies. They were one of the very few things that were in this garden when we came here 20 odd years ago. I had no idea what they were. I posted them on the Vine under unidentified perrenial and SueA very kindly researched them for me. We came to the conclusion that they were a form of hemerocalis, probably custard lilly. There is no bulb, they grow off a root and spread into clumps and are beautifully scented. I have real lillies in tubs which are just coming into flower. I'll post a pic when they get to their best.
      Thank you to SueA and Lesley for your kind words.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Hi Alice, thanks for that. I too have lillies in containers and will try to post some pics as well.
        Regards, gabrielle.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Just had a look at your blog Alice. Ooo am I jealous? What a lovely garden! Have a lot of work to do in mine!

Comment

Thanks Debs. I don't really know what I am doing with the blog - I'm not all that techy, but just thought it would be a place to post pics that the interested could look at without inflicting them on those who don't want to know - if you know what I mean. When I have time I will try to work it into something more meaningful.

Comment

It's Still A Jungle Out There!

Took some more piccies of the garden. I hacked a lot of it back, the grapevine, euonymus, passionflower(which keeps attacking me when I go out of the door!), lavender & viburnum, after the last photos but it all seems to have grown back again & now I have courgettes & pumpkins covering the rest of the path & have to fight past the buddleia & potatoes to reach my runner beans & tomatoes. The grapes are coming on nicely but still small & green & I shored up the arch with some copper piping after it broke but will have to wait until the grape is dormant before I start thinking of replacing it.
              Attached Files
              Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Hi Sue A , the grapes look really healthy, what will you be doing with them. Will you use them to make wine.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Hi Bramble, not sure yet. I keep saying I would like to try & make wine but would have to buy all the equipment & usually the blackbirds get to the grapes before I do & I feel mean taking them off them. I might try grape jelly or just juice but it's hard judging when they are ready as when they first turn black they are too sour, then they sweeten up then suddenly they start to go over-ripe & disappear down the birds throats!
                  Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Can only say your garden's really thriving SueA, and the grapes look just great. Good pics. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X