feeding a grapevine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ocelot View Post
    Are yours a bit small this year? I'm sure my grapes were larger this time last year.
    Perhaps they are dry at the roots?

Comment

I bet you wondered how I knew...

(sorry, couldn't resist any more)

Comment

Anything you feed it with will eventually reach the roots that can (depending on the soil) go down 4-5 metres! One way to give them a quicker feed is to foliar feed with liquid seaweed. It also has the benefit of toughening the leaves helping to prevent mildew taking hold.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
          Perhaps they are dry at the roots?
          I wasn't watering it, but I am watering the roots every day now whilst I do the pots.

They seem to be getting bigger now.

I realise my last post sounded a bit Carry On...
          Last edited by Ocelot; 21-06-2018, 06:49 PM.

Comment

I've never grown a grape but I understand it is traditional to bury a dead sheep under it when you plant it. I was told Queen Victoria always had a dead horse buried under new vines, but that could be apocryphal.

if you want a really big 'un, can I draw your attention to the Great Vine at Hampton Court,with an average crop of 600lbs
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

^Looks like it's very well fed. So maybe the guys here are wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Ocelot View Post
                I wasn't watering it, but I am watering the roots every day now whilst I do the pots.

They seem to be getting bigger now.

I realise my last post sounded a bit Carry On...
                Ooh err, but you ought to see the size of my plums

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                  I've never grown a grape but I understand it is traditional to bury a dead sheep under it when you plant it. I was told Queen Victoria always had a dead horse buried under new vines, but that could be apocryphal.

if you want a really big 'un, can I draw your attention to the Great Vine at Hampton Court,with an average crop of 600lbs
                  Wonder where they got the elephant from for that

Dead animals were reserved for the leek trench in my family.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                  ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                  ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Isn't the great vine supposed to have tapped into a sewer? (so says the history of Kitchen Gardening Book by Catherine [somebody])

I guess the difference is that where Snoop Puss is, they are grown as a bulk crop - feeding vines is done for kitchen garden-type arrangements. You'd need a lot of dead sheep for a whole vineyard...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X