Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks JJ

Thanks JJ.
    Here is a link to a page that contains MelonCam - We have a greenhouse · quanglewangle.com It updates once an hour (sad, I know but keeps me off the streets). The image is quite hi-res so if you open it in a new tab you can zoom in quite a way.

The native BB support for images doesn't scale big ones to fit and is a bit clunky.
    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
    ∃

Comment

• Cantaloupe melons behind Galia: usual?

My Galia melons are getting on fine (as discussed earlier in the thread) but the Cantaloupes seem a bit behind: lots of male and female flowers but no infant melons yet. Is this to be expected?
      I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
      ∃

Comment

• Going to lose two nice melons. Bah!

I'm going to lose two nice melons. These two:

Notice the wilting leaves.

It because the stem leading to them has started to rot. I think it may be due to constriction and/or damage from the support string (now cut away).

Going to have to cut it all away to stop spread, I think.

Boo Hoo....
        ∃

Comment

• Maybe wrap tightly with duct tape? - I've used that in the past for toms.

# just had a closer look - May be past saving
          Last edited by Scarlet; 22-07-2019, 10:00 AM.

Comment

• Lessons learned

I don't think they would have ripened and I didn't want the rot to spread.

It's my first season with a greenhouse and I am learning a lot.

Lessons so far:
            • The greenhouse is way too crowded. Lesson - grow fewer plants with more space per plant
            • I tied up the melon vines, which constricted and possibly damaged them. Lesson - just provide the string and let the tendrils find it and do the job themselves. I net the actual melons so there is not all that much weight on the vines.
            • To promote growth I have been keeping temperature up by restricting ventilation. Lesson - provide more ventilation
            ∃

Comment

• Botrytis takes hold when there is little airflow in the greenhouse due to overcrowding. Closing up the ventilation is not a good idea. In the summer my GH doors are never closed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                Botrytis takes hold when there is little airflow in the greenhouse due to overcrowding.
                I think I just learned that the hard way!
                ∃

Comment

• Everyone does! It's so hard not squeeze those extra half dozen in

Comment

• I assume Father Christmas monitors this thread.

Second greenhouse, please - 2.5 x 3.5 ideally. Then I won't have to commit the sin of overcrowding.
                    ∃

Comment

• Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
                      I assume Father Christmas monitors this thread.

Second greenhouse, please - 2.5 x 3.5 ideally. Then I won't have to commit the sin of overcrowding.
                      Yes you will

I’ve got 3 polytunnel and I’m still overcrowding like there’s no tomorrow

My melons are the same, they’ve had lots of rot cut out of them

Comment

• I'm envious of people growing ripe melons outside in the UK.

I once succeeded with the 'cantaloupe type', the hardiest, when I lived in N. Bucks.

Historically, I think the rule of thumb was that even outdoor tomatoes were only a good bet S of the line from the Severn to the Wash ... N Herefordshire is the wrong side of that line. (As for Scotland ... you manage to grow melons???!!) Melons or cucumbers are more fussy than tomatoes, too.

I've never even tried water melons. In heatwaves, I think they're the most delicious fruit on offer. But now that I have a large lean-to glasshouse, shortly to be filled with the correct growing medium, I will re-try. Tomatoes, peppers and ridge cucumbers (in pots this year) are prospering.

Comment

• I tried watermelons outside a couple of years ago. They were growing alright in the house but I planted them in the border with a straw mulch so they were a bit warmer,covered them with a birdfeed fat ball tub for protection but they didn’t continue growing,the plants really need more warmth. Emir melons grow well outside in a black bucket.

Comment

• My first attempt at growing melons

Got my first female flower today i helped with pollination as ive got the plant in my conservatory. Hoping it all goes well. We are on holiday for a week starting tomorrow and leaving my daughter with some instructions on how to care for my plants in pots. I hope she remembers!!

Comment

• Good luck with the melon production,have a great holiday when you get back let us know how it’s going & welcome to the forum!

Comment

• The greenhouse is beginning to smell melony. I assume that is a good sign...
                                ∃

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X