X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by It never rains..it pours View Post
    Thank you Buffs Im officially impressed with costa del kilwinning

2 or 3 years thanks for that info
    Buffs, Can I ask how the figs are going ?

Comment

Originally posted by It never rains..it pours View Post
      Buffs, Can I ask how the figs are going ?
      We had a change in the weather a few weeks ago, and a storm that blew lots of fruit off trees/plants, and the sun disappeared,however, we have been enjoying some figs, baked beside asparagus wrapped in parma ham, I can really recommend it and the fully ripe figs were lovely, all that extra sunshine made all the difference...

Comment

Figs have done well and still loads to come but want the rain for my fishing so do not expect many more.
        Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Earthgirl Jen View Post
          I have a north facing conservatory (cough!!! that's what it was advertised as when we bought the place, in reality it is a 14ft x8ft lean to greenhouse attached to the back of the house over the back door) and as such gets sunlight for 6mths of the year (March -Sept) and no direct sunlight for the other 6mths of the year. I was amazed at the amount of ambient heat you can get on a sunny day during the winter despite no direct sunlight, so it comes as no surprise to me that you can grow these beautiful fruits...

How lovely and they they look good... enjoy x
          that greenhouse was a north facing empty space with the southern end a 9ft high wall and part of an old stable originally, so I only had to put a frame up and cover it with polycarbonate and put a corrugated plastic roof on, about 15 x 9ft, so just nice for a peach, apricot and nectarine and space for some aubergines, cucumbers in pots..

Comment

Are your figs in the ground or in containers?

I have one in a container in a sheltered spot but have had no true figs to date over a 4 year period.

Comment

Sorry just seen Buffs post re dustbin.

Any tips, though, would be gratefully received.

Comment

figs... In the February I always snap off the growing point on each stem, they are quite brittle so come off cleanly. this encourages lots of fruit from side shoots. I fan trained mine to maximise sunshine on the fruits (this is Scotland) so they did great this year, in march I throw a handful of BFB onto the surface of the compost and in june I give the plant a feeding of tomato fertiliser each week, and do not overwater it as it comes from warmer climes, if it works here it should work anywhere..
                Last edited by BUFFS; 03-09-2018, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X