No announcement yet.

Fruit blossom 2018

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And today's sunshine has brought out the first blossoms of the sweet black cherry
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Blackcurrant leaves started to show about ten days ago, redcurrant and new gooseberries started to open a few days ago, raspberries still hibernating

Comment

Gooseberries and cuttings opened a couple of weeks ago, small apple tree abut 5 days ago, mid sized apple tree yesterday and the very old apple tree has only just started to show some life. The cherry tree I noticed had opened by yesterday but hadn't checked in a couple days.

The bottom of the garden mini-orchard I've not been able to check the last three or four days, but there's nothing colourful showing from a distance.

Comment

The gooseberries are now out, with the redcurrants almost out.

The pears are about to flower but they haven't quite opened yet. Still no sign of apple or cherry flowers, although they look like they will eventually. The cherry trees lining our road are also not there yet. It surprises me how far behind the cherries are.

The Beast really screwed up the timings and it's looking like we might have a more compressed fruit tree flowering season than normal.
          Last edited by chrisdb; 15-04-2018, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Up here in Durham things are starting to come alive. Currants have leaves, my jostaberry which arrived dead last year has sprouted a twig and some leaves (from the roots - the branches it came with are totally dead), cherry, Mirabelle and plum are bursting into leaf raspberries leafing out, hazels beginning to go as are blueberries, honeyberries and gojis. Kiwi berries have green buds, even Ate a cheeky stem of rhubarb. Considering its rained for 2 weeks solid and before that I had an igloo in my back yard for 5 days the past couple of days have been very nice. Theres almost tadpoles in the pond. My 3 apple trees (and the pear, fig and dwarf mulberry) haven't bothered doing anything yet though.

Comment

Second variety of pear opened up today....and it looks like the 3rd variety will open within the next couple of days.

Still waiting for all the apple trees...

Comment

Some plums starting to flower including the damsons. The pears are at white bud stage and some the apples at the really charmingly named "mouse ear" point.

Comment

Some strawberry plants in my greenhouse are now flowering. Maybe this year I'll actually be able eat some before the slugs!

Comment

How do you manage with pollination for your inside plants ?

Comment

I leave the vents open during the day, plus I have panes of glass missing so the insects might get through there too.

Comment

Right - thanks for the info.

Comment

Plum just apeared overthe tree.
                          Apple not yet,
                          Cherry not yet.

Odd, but looks like the bay is "flowering", well what it seems to considers flowers.

Comment

Some of the very, very old perry pears in the field are just about to open.

Comment

Feels like Spring is here at last. The wild Cherry next to my workshop is just coming in to flower, and the buds on the grape vines are bursting.

Comment

Nice new shoots coming up at the base of my three Autumn raspberry plants and some new foliage on the remains of last year’s canes which I haven’t cut down to the ground. They are a double cropping variety and I thought I’d see if they would manage a second crop even though they were moved after fruiting last year.

Also got three new shoots at the base of my tayberry and one on my dwarf blackberry. Flower buds forming on last year’s tayberry canes although as they were all cut back to about 2-3ft for delivery I’m not expecting much of a harvest this year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X