Grapevine in or outside greenhouse?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super crop there-do they taste as nice as they look, Scarlet
    “It was the bumble bee and the butterfly who survived, not the dinosaur” — Meridel Le Sueursigpic

"We are stardust, we are golden, and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden."
    - Joni Mitchell

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...owerpower.html

Comment

I have 2 which I planted outside and feed inwards, the theory behind it being that they like cool roots and the vines and grapes themselves prefer it much warmer.

Here they, or at least one of them a few weeks back just starting to set fruit

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2418 (5).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	2374621

And a few days back

Name:	IMG_2487 (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	2374622

Name:	IMG_2528 (2).jpg
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	2374623

You do have to be quite brutal with them though come the end of the season to keep em in check for next year with them being inside!
      "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Looks like a fine crop coming there - do you know what variety they are ?

Comment

Hi Nick

That's a "Boskoop Glory" a black variety, so a little way to go yet, and the other variety I have is a "Golden Champion" which is a white grape, I'll be down on the plot at some point today so they have probably come on little more since my last visit!
          "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Originally posted by devonuk View Post
            Watering isn't a problem. I simplified the situation a bit: the vine in question was planted 2 years ago in the border inside a 6 x 8 greenhouse which is to be dismantled to make way for an 8 x 15 job. So the question really is whether to cut it down to 2 ft and build the new foundations around it, or transplant/replace it outside. In the mean time the current ghouse is poorly ventilated and hot as hell, but the vine thrives. There is a hose permanently at the door so I just blast everything once a day with it. If you look at vines in Spain or Greece they have pretty good drought tolerance anyway.
            Rather than transplant consider buying a new vine. The time to first harvest will be the same as with both, the roots need to establish themselves.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Deano's "Diggin It" View Post
              Hi Nick

That's a "Boskoop Glory" a black variety, so a little way to go yet, and the other variety I have is a "Golden Champion" which is a white grape, I'll be down on the plot at some point today so they have probably come on little more since my last visit!
              I bought a couple of new vines recently, I think one of those was "Boskoop Glory" - be a couple of years before it crops yet though, I expect.

Comment

Originally posted by Deltawhiskey View Post
                Rather than transplant consider buying a new vine. The time to first harvest will be the same as with both, the roots need to establish themselves.

David
                Yes transplanting would be pointless, on reflection. What I'll do if I go for the outside option is stick a lot of cuttings in the ground after leaf fall, in the place I would want the new vine.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
                  I bought a couple of new vines recently, I think one of those was "Boskoop Glory" - be a couple of years before it crops yet though, I expect.
                  You'll be quite surprised as to how quickly they establish given the right conditions!

Comment

Right! Update from earlier!

They have "Romped"

Name:	IMG_2608.jpg
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	2374651

Name:	IMG_2607.jpg
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	2374652

Name:	IMG_2606.jpg
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	2374653

"Happy Day's"

Comment

You would normally expect to wait until the third year until one gets a crop. The usual test is that the ripe wood should be pencil thick or 8 mm. Some of mine after the first year outside are 12 mm already while others have not done so well. So there will hopefully be some grapes next year. I have sprayed them fortnightly with a seaweed spray. It not only helps with the growth it also toughens the leaves against disease.

David

Comment

Mine took 10 years to crop, had almost forgotten about it, but this year loads of black grapes. I will leave it out over winter (south of England in a sheltered spot).

Monty Don puts the roots of his outside the GH and the vine inside, like VC.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X