No announcement yet.

Chris Bowers & Sons

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you grow in the garden or allotment? If an allotment, maybe another plot holder has one but would be the wrong time to take cuttings.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

It does not sound good,maybe trading standards would help.
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
        Do you grow in the garden or allotment? If an allotment, maybe another plot holder has one but would be the wrong time to take cuttings.
        I grow in my garden. I have plenty of gardening friends, but none of them grows Martlet.

I am thinking of Pax as an alternative. Any comments?

Comment

Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
          It does not sound good,maybe trading standards would help.
          Life is too short for pursuing it to that degree. It's enough for me that a few gardeners hear about my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by SurreyGardener View Post
            Life is too short for pursuing it to that degree.
            We have a ready made thread for you...................
            http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ort_86716.html

Comment

I grow in my garden. I have plenty of gardening friends, but none of them grows Martlet.

I am thinking of Pax as an alternative. Any comments?
              I'm not a big Gooseberry fan but Jersey Plants have a decent deal on:

Jersey Plants Direct
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                We have a ready made thread for you...................
                http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ort_86716.html
                Haha. (Though I'm not to sure about "life's too short for cycling with clothes on").

Comment

Haha. (Though I'm not to sure about "life's too short for cycling with clothes on").
                  Some people here have very odd habits

Comment

I ordered from them a few years back. A pretty big order with raspberries, gooseberry and current bushes. I think I also had bare rooted strawberry plants (which looked like a bundle of roots and not much else). I did have cause to contact them as I wasn't sure all had been delivered and found them gruff and perhaps a touch less accommodating than me as a London lass was normally used to. However issue was resolved and all plants grew fine.

I have a feeling it is a family run business and maybe they are better at growing than PR....could be worse they could be united airlines.
                    Last edited by ecudc; 12-04-2017, 05:21 PM.
                    Follow my grow and cook your own blog

https://tabularasa.org.uk/
                    Wordpress Reader: Tabularassa99
                    Facebook: https://mfacebook.com/tabularasathrive
                    Instagram: Tabularasathrive

Comment

Originally posted by ecudc View Post
                      I have a feeling it is a family run business and maybe they are better at growing than PR....
                      Based on my experience, their skills at growing and at PR are pretty evenly matched ...

Comment

They're one of the ones I avoid for some reason. I've never ordered but I seem to recall that when I was doing my research on where to buy from I found a few people saying they had problems. Anecdotally of course.

Typically, on going elsewhere I also had problems with one of the companies, but the rest were lovely plants and good customer service.
                        Last edited by CaraFlower; 12-04-2017, 07:58 PM.

Comment

I love my fruit growing , long story short I nearly took them
                          To court some years back , the rhs were contacted and fruit breeding research in Scotland got involed and a couple of other very well
                          Known fruit companysuppliers on numerous issues that had arisen from
                          A Chris bowers order, I won't elaborate it's all water under the bridge my best advice is avoid ,
                          stew

Comment

My 2 year experience so far, have found ebay (getting a negative or opening a case gives a strong hand to the buyer) and a local family nursery best vs a well know mail company and well known diy superstore

Comment

I've not dealt with this company, but I always find it hard to understand the motivation of running a business like this if you don't enjoy customer service.

Comment

We have a local family nursery - definitely NOT a garden centre - who I have known for over 40 years. We were there once in the old days waiting to be served and one of the brothers came up to us and complained that he hated customers. We pointed out that we were customers but he pointed out that we knew what we were talking about. They also used to say that they loved to have people coming and insisting on buying bedding plants because they knew they would be back to buy more when there had been a frost. We visited them last Autumn for the first time in 25 years - it hadn't changed a bit and they recognised us. They did have good plants though.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X