No announcement yet.

Recommendations for where to buy fruit trees

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could get an ER and a brownlees russet, that would give you pollination for both and russet apples for mid and late season.

Comment

Victoriana Nursery are my first port of call. Good strong trees, packed perfectly and dispatched to arrive quicker than any other nursery I have used.

M recommendation for a russet would Claygate Pearmain - good disease resistance especially the dreaded scab. Superb taste. It is triploid so needs a pollination partner but it is in pollination group 4 so unless you live out in the wilds there will be plenty of nearby trees for pollination.

https://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/...gate_Pearmain/

Comment

As has already been said if other gardens/ allotments near you have other fruit trees you should be fine to plant it without a partner.

I looked at keepers website and from the list of pollonation partners i like Adams Pearmain - great disease resistance and it pollonates ER

Comment

Those russet apples look so unappetising! Do they taste nice?
          He-Pep!

Comment

There's no russet taste as such. Each apple tastes how it tastes the skin just happens to be covered in russet. If it's just the texture of skin which puts you off you can always peel them.

I really enjoyed last seasons ER, very smooth, rich and honeyed, just don't go buying them from the supermarket out of season - they're foul and will put you off them.

Comment

And now I want another apple tree! Thanks guys...
              http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

I've told you before - it starts with seeds ... and moves to trees.

Would you like me to have a rummage in the salad drawer for some scion wood.

Comment

That's lovely, but I am going to be good this year and finish the projects I've already started. I am really easily distracted and it means my gardening stuff can get started but not always finished, which then annoys me.
                  http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

I've bought trees from Blackmoor, Keepers, Mail Order Trees, Deacons and Buckingham Nurseries. All were fine, but I'd particularly recommend the first three for both the quality of the trees and the customer service. My main reason for buying online is that I prefer to grow more unusual varieties, and I want to know what rootstock I'm getting.

Comment

Really interesting stuff, thanks. I may need to look a bit further before choosing.

The place we're moving to has 2 established (15years maybe) cooking apple trees, not sure if they would work for pollination. Do i need to ask the variety?

It has 1/2 acre of land so we could choose to grow a much larger tree, or a few smaller ones in a little grove.

Comment

If the current owner knows what they are that's always a help.

The problem with bigger trees is you get more apples. Having lots of apples is nice but there are only so many you can eat at any one time and whilst you can store them they may not be at their best. Trees are a long term commitment there's no point in rushing into planting when you're not sure what you want or like.

If you have the space; it sounds like you do and your growing for fruit rather than looks, I'd go for a greater number of smaller trees rather than a few large ones, spread the season out so you have a few apples regularly rather than a glut mid season.

My spreadsheet tells me In theory I should be able to pick fresh apples for 6 months of the year - it's yet to happen though

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                          Really interesting stuff, thanks. I may need to look a bit further before choosing.

The place we're moving to has 2 established (15years maybe) cooking apple trees, not sure if they would work for pollination. Do i need to ask the variety?

It has 1/2 acre of land so we could choose to grow a much larger tree, or a few smaller ones in a little grove.

I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago - i bit the bullet and removed three established trees (large specimens on very vigorous rootstocks) that were neglected and in a couple of cases quite diseased, one was a cooking apple that I would have no use for 50+lbs of.

I have since planted 25 or so trees, the main orchard is a mix of pears (quince A rootstock), apples (MM106 rootstocks) and plums (St Julian A rootstock). N.B. Read up on suitable spacings between trees.

I have also planted cherries, plums, pears and apples on weaker rootstocks as espalier, fans and cordons on shed walls and garden fences/walls.

As has already been discussed check up on pollonation partners for the trees you plant. Also pay attention to when the trees will fruit, early apples and pears will not keep more than a week or two vs late apples which will often keep for months. My orchard is designed to give fruit for months - starting with early cherries from late june right through to late keeping apples and pear that should store through to Feb (at least).
                          Last edited by GBax; 31-03-2017, 11:43 AM.

Comment

I've recently bought 15 or so trees and bushes from Adam's Apples (part of Talaton plans IIRC). They were helpful with advice and the prices seemed good, though they went a bit quiet during the busy season and I had to chase a bit. The trees and bushes seemed healthy and well packaged, and are just about all coming into leaf now. As said, you're a bit late for bare root planting this year really... I put mine in in Feb...

Comment

If you dont order one soon if you get it posted all the apples will fall of as the push it through your letterbox
                              When you have a hammer in your hand everything around you starts looking like a nail.

Comment

If you haven't moved to your new place yet, might I suggest not doing anything with your garden for the first year?

It will give you an idea of the light/shade, the varieties you have etc. We found out the mysterious tree in the corner had one victoria plum dangling from a branch, otherwise we would have ripped it out.

(We did end up ripping it out in the end. Victoria plums are nightmares)
                                Forgive me for my pages of text.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X