Raspberries location

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Muddy_Boots View Post
    I've planted 18 raspberry canes in 3 rows of 6, had 3 different varieties delivered in November so planted them under the instructions of the 2 most knowledgeable growers I call 'oracles' of our allotments.

Also inherited a single raspberry bush that was in the wrong place so also dug that up and created a 4th row with 10 canes from the clump, have left about a 2ft gap between rows as I'm always guilty of planting stuff too close together.

Now I just hope that when spring finally arrives and the weather starts warming up new shoots will appear .... else I've got 4 rows of what they look like at the moment .... and that's dead sticks.
    That is tight, have fun picking them! How long are the rows?

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    You can play "Granny, pop out of your nightdress".............or is it just me who does that?
    (I don't mean that I pop out of my nightdress) just Granny!
    I just can't think of it that sweetly, as beautiful as it is, in Exeter, it's EVERYWHERE. across the city. Given a choice between invasive bamboo and bindweed, I'd take bamboo. At least i've had some success at controlling that in the past (invasion from a neighbour), Bindweed, no such joy. So I'm in the kill it with fire and brimstone and never give an inch category.

Comment

Popping granny can be even more fun if you swear whilst popping

.......Granny, you *#&$*%......., pop out of your nightie now before I take the axe to your head............that sort of thing but less polite!

Comment

Lol, yep, maybe i'll try it on the wild ones.

Comment

Popping granny can be even more fun if you swear whilst popping

.......Granny, you *#&$*%......., pop out of your nightie now before I take the axe to your head............that sort of thing but less polite!
          What the %&$£ are you on about VC?
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I bet you've popped a few Grannies at your age, Snadge
            I find it irrestible. As soon as I see one I have to pop it - and say the words aloud

Comment

Snadger thank goodness - I didnt know if it was me losing the plot or VC being a nutter

Comment

Snadger, if I could give you two likes, I would. VC, are you sure you're posting on the right thread? Is pop a granny secret code or slang? I've googled it but not come up with anything obvious.

Back on topic...

Can I add a question too? My veg patch is on a sloping site that is terraced. At the moment, every terrace wall (some a couple of metres high, others much lower) is heaving with brambles. Apart from the obvious difficulties of removing the brambles, can I grow raspberries in a similar manner up against the wall?

Comment

You can play "Granny, pop out of your nightdress".............or is it just me who does that?
                  (I don't mean that I pop out of my nightdress) just Granny!
                  my granny was never that game.....

Comment

Raspberries will grow anywhere - they're tough old things................like grannies

For those who think I've lost the plot, next time you see a bindweed flower, pick it and squeeze the green bit at the base whilst saying, Granny pop out of your nightie.
                    Granny's nightie will fly off and a naked granny is left in your hand
                    Bet you can't wait to try this

Comment

Large bindweed | Plant-Lore
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                      -----------------------------------------------------------
                      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

It's ok VC, I knew what ya meant, and its my thread right! Although I know it as granny pop out of your bed, but did have a giggle at your version.

Comment

Nutters...................all of ya!
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Well if Bigmallly can provide a link, it must be true!

And thanks VC. I love raspberries. It's a toss-up between an asparagus bed or raspberries. And the raspberries have just won. Yum!

Comment

I love raspberries too, Snoop! If I could only grow one fruit it would be rassers
                              A couple of years back, about half the garden was taken over by them - they just spread everywhere - and I couldn't bring myself to pull any up
                              I'm a bit more hard on them now - but there are still lots lurking!

Comment

VC, that's fantastic news. Might even get enough to make jam in that case.
                                Last edited by Snoop Puss; 11-01-2017, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X