No announcement yet.

How do I fit it all in?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a 4mx4m cage i've got two rows of about 6-8 raspberries (summer and autumn rows), a blueberry, red currant, black currant, gooseberry, cranberry and some pots with more raspberries and other berries...

All working fine so far but this is the first full growing season and i can see that the pots will have to go fairly soon - probably next year based on the growth of everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
      I like to look after our flying friends...................
      WHAT? all of them?

I started out with a low number of raspberry plants (about 10-15) and over the years have given away over 100 offshoots growing in the wrong place, and we get enough fruit to be just finishing last years crop......
      Last edited by BUFFS; 01-07-2016, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Thank you all for the great replies. Will have a rethink. Could probably put the Chilean guavas outside on there own, looks like I'm going to loose on of my blueberries, the Blackberry could go alongside the hedge, just have to share with the birdies. That would leave room for a gooseberry and currant I think.
        Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

You could always use cordons rather than bushes for some of the fruit - white and red currants and gooseberries do well as cordons. I think blackcurrants are better as bushes due to the different way they fruit. I have a double cordon white currant shoved into a very small space. It produces a reasonable amount of fruit and it isn't hard to prune.

The bush is on the far left of the picture. The distance between the 2 upright branches is about 1ft and it doesn't seem to need staking to stay upright. When the fruit is ripe (now) I drape a piece of butterfly net over the lower part where the fruit is, securing it on the ends of the recently pruned branches, but it would work well in a fruit cage.
          Attached Files
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X