Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Wrong With My Cherry Tree? (Pics & Info)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's Wrong With My Cherry Tree? Need Help Please :-(

Hey Guys,

I have made a post about my Cherry Tree being eaten by a mysterious animal before, and wasn't able to decipher what it was.

However, I now have another problem which is some of the leaves of the tree are now dying and curling. The situation seems to be getting worse day by day. I have taken pictures.

Why the leaves are dying? Is it linked to the animal(s) eating the tree? Is there anything I can do to help the tree?

Here are the pictures: Cherry Tree Dead Leaves/ Eaten By ? - Album on Imgur

Comment

I've merged your 2 threads in case its the same problem.

Have you unrolled any of the curling leaves? There may be somethng hiding inside.

Comment

Do you think they are connected then?

Yes, I have unrolled the curling leaves. Nothing inside any of them. The only animals that I have identified on or near the plant are a LOT of spiders of different types. Does this mean they could be doing this because of aphids on the plant that they want to eat...?

I don't want my Cherry Tree to die :-(

Comment

Its helps to see all the posts you've made about this tree together, as they may be connected. I don't know enough about cherry trees to be able to say.

Comment

I thought one of the pictures looked like there was fuzzy caterpillar silk on one of the leaves. If any of the leaves are folded over with spiderwebs at the corners try opening one, it could be a caterpillar.

If not, check under the most crippled leaves and see if there are tiny brown dots on the stalks of the leaves, they might be bite marks.

Also aphids look like green spiders, if there are ants running up and down the stem that would be an indication.

And there's scale bugs, they change colour depending where they are on the plant, but are shaped like an elliptical(?) shield, and stuck to the tree/leaf.

Cherries have very tasty young leaves to most leaf nibbling, sap sipping bugs.
            Forgive me for my pages of text.

Comment

The problem could be one (or more) of many possible problems, each of which has a different 'treatment' if treatment is required.
              It could be bug nibbling, bacterial disease, fungal disease, temperature shock or something else completely random.
              The only way to narrow it down would be for us to have a thorough look at the whole tree and its surroundings.

If (I said 'if') it's a disease, it's probably already well-established on the tree and most likely was brought with it from the grower.

Regardless of the damage to the leaves, the tree generally seems to be bursting with life. You should see the state of some of my trees by the end of the growing season, once bugs, diseases and weather have taken their toll.

Comment

On the worry scale where 1 is no worry and 10 is manic. I think you have a number 2. I would rate the grass needs cutting as more of a problem. You have good vibrant colour, plently of new lush strong growth. The old leaves have damage but they are still useful leaves to the tree, still be photosynthesising ! If you stand back you probably can't see an issue. Best thing to do is break out the deck chair, bottle of wine and admire the garden. Don't forget you coat :-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X