No announcement yet.

Best secateurs for pruning.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would think you would have to go and actually hold them, I have a few different ones and always go back to really old ones I have (no idea what brand) as they feel good.
    sigpic

Comment

My two Felcos have lasted over 20 years. They may be expensive to buy but they pay for themselves.

One pruning gadget I've found useful is the Long Reach Pruner Darlac Cut-N-Hold Snapper DP110-650. It costs £29 but makes deadheading shrub roses and plants can be cut back without standing on the flower bed.
      Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

I have a couple of Felco No5. They are fine for general pruning. My favourite pair of secateurs is a Felco No 8. It has a lightweight aluminium body, is very comfortable to hold and cuts cleanly.

Comment

I have used felco no 2 , for 25 years professionally have two pairs incase I misplace one sharpen and service them myself , adjust them daily , buy the best buy once

Comment

Another plus for felco's.
            John

Comment

thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by celiagrows View Post
                thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated
                Ditto - I'll also be investing in a decent pair this year

Comment

Yes, thanks to all, seems Felco are the ones to go for. Have used a variety of cheap ones and always had problems, OH is a terror for twisting them while cutting and this puts additional strain on the screw that joins the two halves. Will start saving up for a pair of Felcos

Comment

Felco fan here too. There's an old pair of No.2 knocking about in the shed that are years old (and look it) which I inherited. They're still functional and fine for general garden jobs. I sharpen them now and again.
                    For a more exact work, taking cuttings, trimming potted specimens etc. I use a pair of No. 6. I prefer them as they're a bit smaller and lighter than most of the Felco range, so better for intricate cuts and less likely to be dropped if using at a funny angle or if the handles spring apart. I just tried the Felco servicing for the first time too - got my secateurs back last week - and I'm very impressed. They look brand new again, and the blade is scarily sharp.

I tried the No. 12 for a while, with the rotating handle, but didn't get on with them at all and ended up ebaying them. Fixed handles work better for me.

Felco's are pricey but the quality is proven and they'll last years, so definitely worth it.
                    Last edited by Philthy; 23-02-2016, 06:46 PM. Reason: Correcting misinformation - cheers boatsman

Comment

My Felco No 8 is a lightweight aluminium handled secateurs. It doesn't have a rotating handle. Maybe yours is a newer model . Mine is about 15 years old.

Comment

No. I just referenced the wrong model. Meant to say No.12 - that's the no.6 but with rotating handle

The design is meant to reduce muscle fatigue but I found I had issues with grip, both mine of the tool and also of tool on the material being cut.
                        Last edited by Philthy; 23-02-2016, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Philthy View Post
                          I just tried the Felco servicing for the first time too - got my secateurs back last week - and I'm very impressed. They look brand new again, and the blade is scarily sharp.
                          Mine have been for a service too and as you say good as new. I started pricing up the parts separately, but even with postage I thought it was good value to send them away. Roses all pruned now. I found somewhere I'd written when they were last serviced and it was 2008.
                          Mine are Felco no9, they are left handed ones. Keeps right handed people off them. Not that there is anyone else likely to use them in my house. My MinL hides hers in the kitchen drawer away from my FinL who is prone to cut wire and the such like with them.

Comment

Originally posted by WendyC View Post
                            ...My MinL hides hers in the kitchen drawer away from my FinL who is prone to cut wire and the such like with them.
                            Felcos have a special notch for cutting wire...
                            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                              Felcos have a special notch for cutting wire...
                              Yes but don't think my FinL is that highly trained!

Comment

Originally posted by Stamets
                                I have two Felco's that have served me well in the last 10 years. Several garden projects and allotment use. Only criticism would be the spring clip! Has the tendency to pop off with ease on my model 2. Probably needs replacing.

My Tobisho SR-1 secateur i would highly recommend! Nice piece of Japanese craftsmanship for gardening. Well made and very sharp ( yes i have cut myself twice).

In regards to sharpening secateurs i have tried narrow whetstones and diamond sharpeners. They work but take time/patience. An easy and effective product is an ISTOR sharpener. Takes seconds to sharpen secateurs.
                                the springs do pop out on felcos but if they start getting slow or weak and not working properly just oil them and they will return to perfection, cleaning and oiling is the best

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X