Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it ok to train blackberries to run from one end of a trellis?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TeaMonsta View Post
    Yes. The idea to grow the plants from one end of the trellis was so that they could be planted in an area that wouldn't be trodden on. This would mean that the prepared growing site could remain free-draining and not get compacted. However, I now have a plan to overcome that problem which is to lay a stiff wire mesh across the prepared site which will take the weight of feet whilst the ground underneath doesn't get compacted. The mesh will be covered with weed matting and bark so it won't be seen.
    Sorry, you've lost me but that's not difficult.........................I can't see laying wire mesh is going to stop the soil from compacting when walked on. Are you growing through the mesh, matting & mulch?
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I should've explained; the mesh will be a heavy duty one, more like a metal grate so it won't flex (I had thought of using a boot scraping grate that you'd put outside your door). The prepared areas that have the plants are about 2ft x 2ft. Within this area it's relatively light and fluffy and easily compacted. Outside this area is unprepared, hard ground. The idea is to lay the stiff, non-flexible mesh/grate so that it completely spans the prepared area with each edge of the mesh being supported by the surrounding ground. So the mesh/grate acts like a bridge/lid across the prepared area; taking the weight of feet. The mesh will let through rainfall and can be easily lifted if required. You see, these prepared areas are likely to be walked on and I want to avoid them becoming compacted.

Just got to source the mesh/grating now but I've found some which should work. A couple of layers of this stuff will do it but I'm on the hunt for a cheaper alternative: Welded Wire Mesh Panels | Galvanized Steel | Security Weld Sheets
      Last edited by TeaMonsta; 19-10-2015, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        I was confused too as I could remember you asking about growing blackberries against a garage wall
        That was the first plan. But then I thought I'd build a trellis round the oil tank and grow them there. Might grow apples against the garage now. Or put up a lean-to shed. Or maybe a log store......

Comment

Good luck TM, I still can't imagine the mesh taking a persons weight without flexing.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
            Good luck TM, I still can't imagine the mesh taking a persons weight without flexing.
            It probably will flex if I can't find a mesh that's thick enough not to, but even then, I'm hoping to minimise any flexing that with two sheets of it; one on top of the other. Unless I can find a big enough grate. That'd be the ideal.
            Last edited by TeaMonsta; 20-10-2015, 10:10 AM.

Comment

I'm still confused about what you're trying to achieve but - would this stuff work (other suppliers are available) Plastic Porous Paver | Permeable Paving | Grass & Gravel Car Parks

Comment

Reckon that could be the answer. Thanks, VC!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X