Moving Gooseberry bushes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Gooseberry bushes

I have been offered 2 well established gooseberry bushes, both currently full of fruit. i was wondering if it is ok to move these bushes and if so when would be the best time to do it and how i should transplant them
    Thanks
    John

hi
    we were given an established gooseberry bush last year from our plot neighbour. we planted it straight away september, october time i think.
    must be happy as we harvested the gooseberries yesterday.
    good luck
    debs
    www.johndebs.piczo.com
    Last edited by debjay; 03-07-2007, 06:31 AM.
    www.johndebs.piczo.com

Comment

Hi lfcjohn. Ideally you want to wait until the bush is dormant - october ish time, dig hole and prepare with nutrients - not sure which ones I'll have a look, dig up, move and replant.
      Bright Blessings
      Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

During dormancey is usually best. However, our neighbour gave us a gooseberry bush in the spring when we moved here it was starting to shoot and well out of dormancy. He said he had finished his family (he was 75!) and was scared of looking underneath it anymore! He actually has several on his allotment and this was in the back garden. We made a huge hole, watered the hole, watered the bush, dug with a big wodge of earth around the roots, dropped it in and away it went. It has fruited brilliantly each year since.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

As the Ladies have said During the Winter, take as much root ball as you can, plenty of good muck in the hole, plant at same level as before, and make sure it doesn't dry out during first season. This is how you transplant any fruit bush, shub or small tree.
          It's not the growing old I mind but the growing stupid with it!

Comment

Thanks alot i will leave them until later on in the year
            John

Comment

Take cuttings now: you'll have more bushes next year..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X