Gooseberry Sawfly :(

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
    Sorry to say but a systémique insecticide is the only answer. I don't like to use it but once every three years seems to do the trick. Use it before they flower at the first signs of damage and it will keep them under control. Or you could use it after the fruit has been picked if there is an infestation.
    I disagree with the chemical option, I found that if I cut cardboard to fit tightly around the main stem and covering the area of the plant and an extra 6/9ins all round and paint on some sunflower oil or similar (it stops them sliding off) and a short piece of stout cane, rattled in the foliage all through the bush will have all the caterpillars dropping to safety of the soil, only to land on the cardboard, just separate the two halves and sweep the bugs into a tray, and do each bush then feeding the bugs to the birds, robins will soon take them out of your hand and wrens will even come close for an easy meal , most birds seem to love the bugs and after the second year we only seem to get an odd few and if caught fast can be picked off by hand. this year has been too cold for them around here, I don't think they have heavy enough jumpers....
    Last edited by BUFFS; 27-08-2015, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Well, my fleece cover was a waste of effort as I've had a look inside today and the bush was crawling with caterpillars. There isn't much foliage left now so I have left it uncovered and will just have to pick off the ones I can see. Its going to be transplanted later this year, so I will wait until all the leaves have gone and then wash off the soil from the roots as advised earlier in this thread, and plant it in its raised bed. I think the best option is then to cover the soil with weed suppressant and put an insect mesh cover over the bush straight away. I'll also try the lavender idea to see if the smell keeps them away, although I have never managed to keep a lavender bush alive more than a few weeks on previous attempts.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X