No announcement yet.

Meyer lemon stopped growing when moved outside

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone got a decent recommendation on where to buy a good sized Meyer lemon tree? They seem to be quite sparse searching, meaning what's on offer doesn't really appear to be competitively priced.

Comment

Meyer are not that common in the UK, or most of Europe, the are available but `real` lemons are far more common in Europe

The citrus center are a good supplier of good plants in the UK, not sure if they have meyer but would assume so

If you are not only interested in Meyer lemons ( they may have meyer lemon? ) I get a lot of trees from Seagrave Nurseries in lincolnshire, they do everything from small and normal...and large and right up to massive massive lemon trees

If you are prepared to wait maybe a few days longer , most of the European citrus suppliers will post them to you, like Hodnik and Agrumes Baches will post them to you from Europe

Also try searching german ebay....for plants from Italy, Germany and Spain.....they dont show up in our searches but go to ebay.de and use google translate and they turn up and many post to the UK
      Last edited by starloc; 11-07-2015, 01:41 PM.
      Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

Thanks starloc, I want the Meyer lemon because it's my surname (almost, anyway)

Will check out the citrus center when I can, their website looks a little outdated so I'm hesitant to trust it security wise but will try head to the nursery.

Comment

Originally posted by starloc View Post
          Citrus will not live outside in the winter without serious protection in the UK, but in the summer it should be fine, ( above 10C ) the temperatures are not that bad in the winter, but the amount of rain, any amount of frost and the fact that the seasons are such that it will try to grow in cold periods and then die of frost damage on new shoots

Dont believe tv sellers of citrus making out that you can leave them outside in the UK winter, you can not....they need a greenhouse and even then its touch and go.....in the greenhouse and add some fairy lights ( bulb type ) and then they will live

The shoot tips on your plant probably died due to change in humidity and/or sun, they like it outdoors but need to get used to it, citrus will grow in full sun but do not need it they are a natural under story plant growing under other plants

They grow in cycles, about 6 weeks of roots then 6weeks or so of shoots and then flowers ( if old enough, seed grown can take years to fruit and need to be large they fruit when a grown to a certain size so pruning before they have flowered stops them flowering )
          Down here, frosts are pretty few and far between in an ordinary winter. If I was to bubblewrap the surface of my citrus pots, primarily to prevent them getting waterlogged, would they be ok (provided they were brought in when frost was forecast?) Is it the wet that they don't like, or do they need the warmer days provided to them by a greenhouse in winter sun?

Comment

I have a 8 year old Meyer lemon and also a lime tree both in pots - as I'm in central Scotland the spend winter in an unheated garage getting light from glass in door. They go outside after last frost and will be brought in this weekend as weather forecast for next few weeks shows it's to get colder quickly.

I got both my trees from ken muir - good quality plants!

Comment

Originally posted by ourarka View Post
              Down here, frosts are pretty few and far between in an ordinary winter. If I was to bubblewrap the surface of my citrus pots, primarily to prevent them getting waterlogged, would they be ok (provided they were brought in when frost was forecast?) Is it the wet that they don't like, or do they need the warmer days provided to them by a greenhouse in winter sun?
              My Mum lives in South Wales, very rarely gets frost and left hers in the GH over winter.(fleeced) and it died. I think they definitely need to be under glass to at least stand a chance. They aren't cold hardy, do anything below 10 can kill them.
              Last edited by Scarlet; 10-10-2015, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X