Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plants from pips/stones and kitchen scraps - a Challenge ;)

Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decided to try growing Romano peppers from seed in 2015, had somewhat over 30lb in 2016 having pruned and overwintered them. (8 plants in total)
    They are looking good for 2017, not bad as they sell for about £1 for each pepper.
    No heat to them and they freeze and dry like a dream.
    I thought they may be F1 but apparently not.
    Feed the soil, not the plants.
    (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
    Bob

Comment

We have been saving the seeds too and thought about doing this, this year. My uncle done this with apple seeds about 30+ year ago. He planted one for each child he had and now has 3 good size trees in his yard. He doesn't eat from them, doesn't even know why they are as he is no gardener.

My partner grew a lemon from seed but only got two inches high and died due to sheer neglect.

Think we should all try this year, fab idea
      If you want to view paradise
      Simply look around and view it.

Comment

I have a small avocado plant growing from a stone. I thought it had died as it was in the greenhouse but dropped all it's leaves when it was cold. I brought it into the house and it has sprouted a new stem and leaves.
        Any idea if it will fruit and if so how long will I have to wait?

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
          Not even a year on and this is how my 3 donut peach trees look (and yes they are outside so no idea why they haven't lost all their leaves )

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71544[/ATTACH]
          You are brilliant, I can never get the donut ones to germinate. But I do have 4 normal peach trees from stones germinated spring 2014, and one of them is blossoming this year.

One of mine kept its leaves all this winter.

Comment

My first flat nectarine stone has sprouted. Had thought they had had it, especially when the first donut peach sprouted last year on the 23rd March.

Yay

Comment

I saved seeds from two squashes last year - the random ones they have in Lidl. Planted a few and they're sprouting! Also got lemon pips buried so hoping they come up..

Comment

Fruitlet on my 2014-germinated peach. Very shiny, obviously thinks it's a nectarine - or possibly an almond?
                Attached Files

Comment

I've overwintered a passion fruit plant grown from a passionfruit seed. The leaves are about three times the size of the ornamental passion fruit plants for sale in the shops.

I will put it into a large pot and train it up the front of my summerhouse in June.(After frost)
                  I intend bringing it back in for the winter next year.
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Just bought some yellow stickered pomegranate seeds (with flesh - not the dried out sort of seeds), wonky avocados and a bunch of fresh tarragon
                    Guess what happens next

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      Just bought some yellow stickered pomegranate seeds (with flesh - not the dried out sort of seeds), wonky avocados and a bunch of fresh tarragon
                      Guess what happens next
                      A pomegranate, avocado and tarrogon salad!
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Might be summat like that, followed by a little planting of the inedible bits

Comment

I have a baby lemon seedling
                          Read recently that if you took the tough white shell off a lemon pip and chitted the softer inner bit on some damp paper, germination would be better - and it worked
                          I planted them in a pot of compost, inside a plastic bag and left it on the kitchen window sill. The little green shoot that appeared could have been a weed - but it has glossy little leaves now, so I'm happy!
                          I have some fresh date stones to do next.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                            I have a baby lemon seedling
                            Read recently that if you took the tough white shell off a lemon pip and chitted the softer inner bit on some damp paper, germination would be better - and it worked
                            I planted them in a pot of compost, inside a plastic bag and left it on the kitchen window sill. The little green shoot that appeared could have been a weed - but it has glossy little leaves now, so I'm happy!
                            I have some fresh date stones to do next.
                            Make sure dates wern't frozen................

Diversify & prosper

Comment

May I introduce Jerry and Jack

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9407.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	2376934

Jerry isn't on his last legs, he always looks a bit droopy and is a strange colour.

Jack's very perky however.

Comment

Here is my attempt at a satsuma.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	2376956

Would like to try a lemon pip and lime as well next time I get my hands some.
                                Got a blood orange pip in propagator at moment ( not looking hopeful at the moment).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X