Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plants from pips/stones and kitchen scraps - a Challenge ;)

Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plants from pips

I remember trying this out back in the 1970's. I grew Orange, Lemon, Grapefruit and Tangerine in citrus family. I also germinated Pomegranate , Almond and a Date palm. kept the last one for many years as a houseplant.

Comment

Out of interest - those of you growing things like apple trees/seeds do you plan on ultimately having a tree living in a large-ish pot or are you planning to ground plant it?

Thinking of giving this a go myself but will probably wait for next spring before I try and get anything started.

Comment

Well Ryleah, I wouldn't be rushing out to buy a pot as they are all very slow growing. Mind you, you have to get them to germinate first, but yes, I intend to get them to grow as big as possible and then will take it from there.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
          Strange you should say about this...........I have in the last week sown some peach stones from some aldi flat peaches
          One of them is up

Bet you forgot about this thread

Comment

Just got some seeds from a passion fruit (edulis). Got some going last year but lost them over winter.

Managed to get one to fruit years ago.
            Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Our Lemon tree, Bob, recently passed away. So in his memory (and, in the future, his decorative outer pot) I've grabbed as many sweet clementine seeds as possible and have planted them over the past month. Two now have leaves and the others have green nubs poking out from under the soil.

I found out a few things too; if a citrus seed has multiple germinating parts in the inner seed then it's more likely to come true or true enough.

Also, when growing citrus from seed, peel away the slimy white skin around the seed with your fingernail, leaving a small brown kernel looking thing (like a fat brown pine nut), and this germinates much faster -resting on a piece of cotton pad above the water level of my warm fish tank (on a piece of decoration that pokes above the water) it took two days to germinate.

These, and some canary melon seeds FOR MY NEW GREENHOUSE!

(I'm so excited for the future of this cheap plastic shelter)
              Forgive me for my pages of text.

Comment

Have a mango seed growing.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Mango seedling in my garden but it's in Manila.
                  Attached Files
                  Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

My ~15 year old lemon "tree".

The plum tree that my neighbour grew from a plum stone from a tree that she grow from a plum stone from a tree that she grew from a plum stone that she planted as a little girl.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Just an update. I have three donut peaches going.

My mangoes and lychees planted earlier in the year haven't done anything. In the last week I have sown some stones for flat nectarines. I have rooted a pineapple and some lemon grass

Attached Files
                      Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 07-08-2016, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Ive got about 10 passionflower edulis growing in pots outside. Ill bring them in for their first winter and then put them on a south facing fence in what's quite a hot dry raised bed. I'm hoping that will give them enough to survive the winter outside, possibly with a bit of fleece.
                        Last edited by ecudc; 07-08-2016, 09:42 PM.
                        Follow my grow and cook your own blog

https://tabularasa.org.uk/
                        Wordpress Reader: Tabularassa99
                        Facebook: https://mfacebook.com/tabularasathrive
                        Instagram: Tabularasathrive

Comment

my melon plants this year are from a cantaloupe melon we bought from our local greengrocers, I just rinsed them and stored them in an envelope, forgotten until I realised I had bought no melon seeds, looks like we will get 3 fruit , weather permitting..

Comment

This is my citron planted from a seed almost three years old.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ecudc View Post
                              Ive got about 10 passionflower edulis growing in pots outside. Ill bring them in for their first winter and then put them on a south facing fence in what's quite a hot dry raised bed. I'm hoping that will give them enough to survive the winter outside, possibly with a bit of fleece.
                              Edulis needs 10-16 deg C. You'll need to bring them indoors.

Just I was giving up when loads suddenly germinated. I'll be bringing some indoors and chance rest in cool green house. I did get fruit tears ago.
                              Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
                                One of them is up

Bet you forgot about this thread
                                Not even a year on and this is how my 3 donut peach trees look (and yes they are outside so no idea why they haven't lost all their leaves )

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0013.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	2371092

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X