Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plants from pips/stones and kitchen scraps - a Challenge ;)

Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought some lychees and donut peaches. Not to eat, just for the stones

Comment

All the men in my family worked on the docks.
      My nan was notorious for making grandad stand on newspaper when he got home, while he took his boots off and while she unfolded the turn-ups on his trouser bottoms.
      Whatever fell out she would plant and grow.
      This was considered most eccentric behaviour for a working class woman in the thirties and forties.

Family legend has it that their small yard in Paradise street did indeed resemble paradise.
      http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

My mom has got some bramley apple seeds for the kids to plant. Think she has some orange pips as well for them.
        sigpic

Comment

Blimey its taken me ages to find this thread. Anyway I have found it and have had some apple seeds start to grow
          So going to get some pics taken and post them
          sigpic

Comment

I missed this thread,and the boat, on this one. I tried japonica seeds and failed miserably - I wanted to have some plants to put on the high bank of the allotment pond, given that the fruit are pretty tasty too.

Next year. Unless Christmas Pippin seeds are real tryers or my quince seeds from the freezer work out ok.
            http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

These are my apple seedlings. The three in the pot are Pink Lady, they are being re potted later today. The others I believe are Gala, I think as the labels have gone missing again.

So still a few years to wait for some apples I think
              Attached Files
              sigpic

Comment

I also missed this thread.
                I would love a pear and apple tree, might give them a go. I would have trees planted everywhere for everything but the watering is a big issue. I will have to think of something.

Have you just got them on a windowsill? just think of light levels at this time of year
                I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

Just had a look and have nothing but pomegranates and lemons, so might do a few of those.

sigpic

Comment

Not a fruit obviously, but does sweetcorn work ?
                    .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

My mother grew loads of apple trees from seed. They grew into decent trees, but of course they didn't grow true to type. The apples were always quite small and sour, but she used them in her jams to increase pectin content.
                      Unfortunately the only way to grow an apple or citrus tree (or most fruit trees) true to type is to take a cutting and graft it onto rootstock, That doesn't mean it isn't fun trying though and seeing what grows
                      Last edited by skeggijon; 26-10-2015, 12:11 PM.
                      What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                      Pumpkin pi.

Comment

Those apples are fantastic NVG, Well done
                        Don't think you need to worry too much about light levels in winter as they'll be dormant soon.

As a complete aside, I read somewhere yesterday about growing Kentish cobnut trees from the fresh nuts now on sale in the supermarkets. A cheap way of growing an edible hedge!

Comment

Just found this thread - I've been thinking about this recently too - excited to give it a try now! I was going to wait until I moved house and had more room but I suppose they'll take a long time to grow so will (hopefully) have moved long before they need to go in the ground!

Comment

I missed this thread as well. As its just coming up to Halloween I am going to buy a good variety of fruit and nuts and have a try at growing dome of them.

And when your back stops aching,
                            And your hands begin to harden.
                            You will find yourself a partner,
                            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BUFFS View Post
                              I dug up a seedling from between a Victoria plum and greengage and potted it on, now 3-4yrs on it has grown in a standard form, the top is about 4ft out of the tub, spread of about 30-36ins and the stem about 3ft long and is carrying about 70-80 fruit which are now about 1ins/25mm across, swelling nicely and looking very promising. so its fingers crossed, all we need now is for the rain to stop and the sun to come out for more than a few hours at a time and the temp to get near what the guestimate the forecasters give out..
                              we cropped these and they have the look of greengage, but slightly smaller and what seems to be the taste of the Victoria but a little bit sweeter, so I will repot it into a 50ltr tub and look forward to next years crop, a definite lucky find for which I take no credit, all natures doing..

Comment

Made a load of pomm juice and kept the seeds, that will call for a pommtinie later.
                                Chopped open a load of lemons to use in the olives and have got 1 seed!!

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X