Growing Water Bottles & Sandbags.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing Water Bottles & Sandbags.

Interesting concept but has anyone ever weighed their branches to encourage lateral growth as it is thought to bear more fruit?

Attached Files
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Hi, no I haven't(sorry not much help I know) but very similar concept to espalier? Interesting idea, would like to know how you get on might help keep the birdies off the plot too.

Comment

Might also help when harvesting...........
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

I do believe that this is called "festooning" and was often used on plums which would then be festooned with fruit.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

A good idea but I'd decorate the bottles maybe put some wings on them
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I know it's not at all the same....but this works so well with roses, almost immediate results, that I would say it's well worth a try.
            http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I'm toying around with doing away with the bottles & sandbags & simply tying string to the branches, bending them down.................. & anchoring the string down.............hopefully the string wont damage the branches.
              Last edited by Bigmallly; 19-05-2015, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Here's an earlier thread about it

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ning_4748.html

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                ― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Nice find Jay.............Cheers.

Comment

it's such a pitty these aren't more affordable - imagine using these as weights.

Design Toscano Hanging Jungle Monkey - GardenSite.co.uk

I may have to look around car boot sales and toy shops. Oh yes and buy a fruit tree that's suitable.

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

You should have kept those dolphins, jay-ell

Comment

Don't be silly VC dolphins can't climb - unless they're being chased by ...

Hmmm dolphins and monkies

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Another page with an informative illustration

https://thisblessedplot.wordpress.co...ng-plum-trees/

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
                            Another page with an informative illustration

https://thisblessedplot.wordpress.co...ng-plum-trees/
                            I came across that site yesterday Jay, I think soft string is the way to go.

Comment

A little update!
                              Inspired by this thread, (and because I'm so short and can't reach the top branches,) I tied some branches down and back to the trunk on a plum and a couple of apple trees.
                              Could be wishful thinking but these branches do seem to have more and larger fruit on them.
                              Also, they are holding their "festooned" shape with the ties removed. Its only taken a few months to train them - I'm amazed because I thought they'd spring back up again.

I've already earmarked some more branches for the festooning treatment.
                              Thanks BM for the idea
                              Last edited by veggiechicken; 25-08-2015, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X