Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^^^^^^^That makes two of us...
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by vixylix View Post
      They look really good! I'm wishing I'd ordered them instead of T&M's hanging basket blackberry now!
      Now I am very interested in how you got on with the Hanging Blackberry Basket....
      Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by ThompsonMorgan View Post
        Hi Ryez

Raspberry Ruby Beauties will not fruit in their first year as they will only fruit on the previous year canes. Next year your bush will be in prime condition to form an abundance of raspberries for you to enjoy

Kind regards

Natalie.
        Look forward to lots of fruit next year then, however one of my 2 plants has come down with Powdery mildew... Looks quite sick.

Comment

Do keep us posted on their progress seasprout,

If either (or both) plant(s) need replacing, we'll be happy to take care of you.

All the best for now,

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by seasprout View Post
            Now I am very interested in how you got on with the Hanging Blackberry Basket....
            After 6 months and it still not turning up, and T&M not being apologetic in the slightest I cancelled my order - I appreciate that sometimes conditions are beyond their control but a bit of understanding and sympathy would have been nice! I've decided to be benevolent and give them another chance with the raspberries. Fingers crossed!!

Comment

Shouldn't have looked at this thread - more plants to buy! Have only ever done autumn rasps as to windy for long summer canes
              Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Dwarf Raspberry update.

Originally posted by seasprout View Post
                Look forward to lots of fruit next year then, however one of my 2 plants has come down with Powdery mildew... Looks quite sick.
                Just wanted to update you all on how my Raspeberry Ruby Beauties are doing. (Dwarf containerised Raspberries).

Well they are just starting to ripen up nicely and looking fantastic, and taste yummy as well.

I'll be honest I was a bit cynical about containerised fruit, but so far so good, it would be useful to know how to deal with them once fruiting is over & what to feed the thing on, so if anybody from Thompson & Morgan is using a search bot and comes across this post... then do tell.

Comment

Watching with interest too. Purchased both the basket and bush ruby raspberry canes although I chose with advice on here to grow both in 2 pots instead.

Been watching the fruits firm for a short while now and today noticed my first ripe one which I tried. Really happy and like you looking for some 'at the end of the season care advice'

Comment

Mine are doing very well, SWMBO is giving some to the son and freezing the excess. Very pleased so far but even in a 30lt container I have had to thoroughly water ever day.

As to what to do next. They are a summer fruiting cane so the branches that have fruited this year will need cutting back to ground level after they have finished fruiting. This will allow new growth ready to fruit next year. I thought it might be a problem to tell the different canes apart but on my plants this years canes are a dark brown and slightly wilting whilst the new growth is a nice vibrant green.

As to feeding I went with the old regime of high nitrogen (I use Miracle Gro) until fruiting started and then changed to high potash (I use Tomorite). When fruiting has finished I will give them a dose of Miracle grow whilst ever the greenery is growing and then let things rest over winter.
                    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I've been really pleased with mine but I found the canes a little weak, with some of them snapping during the strong winds we had a few weeks ago. I had 4 fruiting canes this year and 3 suffered damage in the winds.

Luckily they didn't snap off completely and I was able to fix them with a splint, well my sons pencil as it was the nearest thing to hand to do an emergency fix before work. It seemed to have done the trick because the raspberries continued to grow and ripen even on the snapped canes.

The new canes are coming along nicely too and I should have another good harvest next year; but I will provide additional support for the canes just in case.

Comment

So I bought one a couple of months ago and another one reduced from b&q today (tempted to even buy more after reading the thread earlier) and have minimal raspberries already should they have been taken off when flowering like with blueberries for better crop?

Comment

yep keep an eye on b&q, i had 9 plants for £2 last winter, they did ok this season but the new growth for the next is looking really promising.

Comment

Got myself 3 more 3ltr ruby beauty raspberry plants from b&q for a bargain price of £2 each, reduced from £10 a plant. Also got 5 tayberries for half price at 2.50 a go. Happy bunny was I

Comment

Having read this interesting thread brought 3 x 9cm ones back in May. They have plodded on to 2f x 2ft bushs and seem ok. However originally put them in each in a 12l black buckets which are now looking too small. Any views on the best size, was thinking transfer to 40l flexi tubs as then can water and feed less times next year. Hoping to push them for some early fruit in greenhouse then move outside

Comment

Originally posted by It never rains..it pours View Post
                                Having read this interesting thread brought 3 x 9cm ones back in May. They have plodded on to 2f x 2ft bushs and seem ok. However originally put them in each in a 12l black buckets which are now looking too small. Any views on the best size, was thinking transfer to 40l flexi tubs as then can water and feed less times next year. Hoping to push them for some early fruit in greenhouse then move outside
                                My plants are in 20L tubs, they have filled them.
                                I have to say they were amazing this year, I’ve have pounds of fruits and I am delighted with them.

Being a plant that produces a crop, they are hungry plants, I’d certainly pot them up, and if poss a bit of well rotted manure. (I used a bit of B&Q stuff).

Best time to do it is now, & prune away your older canes now.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X