No announcement yet.

Am I a fruit loop?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, this is only my first year so my collection 'should' be fairly modest but it appears I'm a member of the fruit loop gang too :

Apples
    Plums
    Cherries
    Pears
    Peaches
    Nectarine
    Apricot
    Lemon
    Mandarin
    Raspberries
    Blackberries
    Blueberries
    Strawberries
    Pineberries
    Loganberry
    Tayberry
    Jostaberry
    Boysenberry
    Red and yellow hinnonmaki gooseberries
    Japanese Wineberry
    Grapes
    Kiwi issai aka cocktail kiwi aka kiwiberry

Plus after the 'evil' veggiechicken who appears to be on a mission to bankrupt me posted about the bakker Spalding soft fruit offer, I believe I've probably got some currants plus more raspberries and strawberries on the way
    Posted on an iPad so apologies for any randomly auto-corrected gobbledegook

Comment

I'd like to be a fuit loop but all I can shoehorn into my garden are raspberries, gooseberries, rhubarb, and two apple trees (Pixie and Annie Elizabeth). Had a jostaberry but outed it as it took up lots of space for comparatively little return.
      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
      Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisdb View Post
        This is prunus padus, I guess, not prunus avium? Are those even edible? There are some near my work.
        From reading up they can apparently be used in jellies but like quite a few things listed you shouldn't eat raw as they will taste awful.

Cornelian cherry. What do these taste like? I've never tried them.
        I only planted the hedge last year so I have a bit of a wait . Again everything thing refers to it being used in preserves so guessing it will not be good raw. I know my wild cherry makes fantastic jam but you wouldn't eat a bowl of them

Comment

So far I have:

Grape vine (not doing anything yet)
          2x blueberry
          1x summer raspberry
          3x autumn raspberry
          15x strawberry plants (went a bit crazy at B&Q last week)
          approx 50 strawberry runners (hidden by junk and found about 2 hours after getting back from B&Q)
          Unknown currant left by previous house owner
          Cherry tree
          Plum tree
          Apple tree
          Pear tree
          Spare pear (not arrived yet - last months offer)
          Rhubarb (crown planted, no sign of life yet)

Plus this week I made the mistake of clicking through the link for the citrus trees in top tips so I also have an order in for lemon, lime and mandarin trees, pepino melon, fig and honeyberry. No idea where these are going to go yet, but I'm sure I'll find room somewhere in the garden! If I cut back the rose taking over my bench-trellis thing, the honeyberry could grow up the other side of that, I suppose...

Comment

At least I know I'm not alone in my loopiness

I've discovered today that I don't have enough room for my 40ish plants of strawberry, framberry and pineberry. I've had to squash them in everywhere until I can figure out a permanent home for them
            Remember it's just a bad day, not a bad life 😁

Comment

You have missed some
              Gage
              Pluot
              Quince
              AND NO LOGANBERRY?
              To name just a few.
              Will you be getting an eating Apple or a cooking Apple and what variety, does it store, when does it need pollinating (you may need 2)
              You're well on the way but still not quite there.
              Last edited by fishpond; 22-04-2015, 07:22 PM.
              Feed the soil, not the plants.
              (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
              Bob

Comment

I forgot the grapevines............. and the kiwiberry I've grown from a seed ...........and the Chilean guava that I bought years ago before James Wong knew they existed - but Queen Victoria liked them and that's good enough for me.

Comment

............and I forgot the Greengage................

Comment

Originally posted by cristalfiona View Post
                    If I cut back the rose taking over my bench-trellis thing, the honeyberry could grow up the other side of that, I suppose...
                    Despite the fact that honeyberry is a honeysuckle, it's not a climber, and I've never seen it trained flat against something like a wall. It's more of a low bush, and mine have more of a spreading horizontal habit than a vertical habit. Perhaps it's possible, but I just can't imagine it given how mine grow.
                    Last edited by chrisdb; 22-04-2015, 07:56 PM.

Comment

About your red-fleshed apples - I have PixiRosso and Redlove Circe - both are pretty trees, with dark magenta blossom and reddish leaves right now. The apples look lovely as they ripen and hang on the tree, but are nothing special in the way of flavour. They would look very ornamental in a garden setting though.
                      I have a lot of 'Red' versions of more mainstream apples, Red Ellison, Red Beauty of Bath,Red Windsor, Red Norfolk Royal etc, but I think the best of them, with red that travels into the flesh from the skin, are Red Melba and Devonshire Quarrenden - both early varieties that are best picked from the tree and eaten right away
                      Last edited by yummersetter; 22-04-2015, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Despite the fact that honeyberry is a honeysuckle, it's not a climber, and I've never seen it trained flat against something like a wall. It's more of a low bush, and mine have more of a spreading horizontal habit than a vertical habit. Perhaps it's possible, but I just can't imagine it given how mine grow.
                        Thanks for the information Chris, I had made that assumption based on it being a honeysuckle. Oh well, I've just cleared a space for one of my many mini squash varieties

Comment

Originally posted by fishpond View Post
                          You have missed some
                          Gage
                          Pluot
                          Quince
                          AND NO LOGANBERRY?
                          To name just a few.
                          Will you be getting an eating Apple or a cooking Apple and what variety, does it store, when does it need pollinating (you may need 2)
                          You're well on the way but still not quite there.
                          Loganberry is on my list of already haves , greengages I do like but since I have a plum and they are the same family they're off my list (space reasons), quince I have no interest in as I like most if not all of my fruit raw, pluot and all other plum hybrids is a no no for the same reasons as greengages.

I prefer eating apples as it's rare I cook with apples and when I do I use eating apples. No idea of variety, I figure it's not arriving until next year there ain't no point thinking about it yet. Storage doesn't concern me as my apple will be restricted to a pot so I'm not expecting to have that many to need to store them, I go through a dozen apples a week and don't mind freezing them if needs be. I usually buy self fertile plants/trees as when you have limited space it's not possible to have 2 of everything.

I am not bothered about peaches, I like nectarines so may pursue one of those in future, would love a grapevine but will wait until I have a greenhouse for that. Citrus I can't be bothered with (although might when I have greenhouse).

So all in all there are a lot of things I don't think I'll ever want, at the moment there isn't much else I do want. Chilean guava and an apple next year, then buy a greenhouse before purchasing anything else

Comment

I like the look of Malus Baya Marisa, although to be honest I don't eat that many apples myself so I'm open to change and I don't plan on buying it til next year so I have plenty of time to consider.

To everyone who has lot of apple trees, how big are your gardens??? I would love a nut tree (walnut?) but it would fill my garden and block out all the light

Comment

Most of the apple trees in my garden have been here since 1940 - and no, I didn't plant them I've planted a lot more fruit trees too - apples, pears, cherries, plums and gages, peaches etc. Trees give a garden structure - I wouldn't be without them.

Comment

I have a old walnut tree, it is big, so wouldn't suit a modern garden.
                                Occasionally, I stumble across a buried walnut, but more often than not the squirrels store them long before I think about them.
                                I believe there are some newer varieties on smaller rootstocks (I may be wrong).
                                Last edited by fishpond; 24-04-2015, 05:21 AM.
                                Feed the soil, not the plants.
                                (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
                                Bob

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X