No announcement yet.

Looks like a good year for fruit.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had a very light frost Monday or Tuesday last week VC, just a little hint around some of the more low-lying sheltered spots, it was very weak though so I'd be surprised if it even showed up on your hilly radar.

The temperature has definitely plummeted though so I hope it doesn't affect my apple trees much as they are all still full of flower.
    I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

We had a very light frost Monday or Tuesday last week VC, just a little hint around some of the more low-lying sheltered spots, it was very weak though so I'd be surprised if it even showed up on your hilly radar.

I only noticed it at all as I was up and walking the dog at 5.30am...

The temperature has definitely plummeted though so I hope it doesn't affect my apple trees much as they are all still full of flower.
      I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

we seem to be getting everything the weather can throw at us, it warmed up lovely yesterday but bitterly cold winds today, but the blossom on all the fruit is amazing, even the pears are full of flowers so I am hoping for a great year for all the fruit crops and wish the same for you all,....so fingers crossed.. and for the past week we have been getting loads of all the different types of bees/bumbles.. magic our Maurice....

Comment

I suppose the only grumble I have (and I know it may only affect those of us in the East Coast of England) is that it has been incredibly dry and windy in the main over several weeks.

I'm seriously running out of contained rain water to keep my newly planted lot of blueberry plants watered enough.
          .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
            Pollen is less fertile in cooler temperatures, although pollen from some varieties suffers more (e.g. Cox) and some suffer less (e.g. James Grieve). In fact, in warm areas Cox's pollen can be so good that it's self-fertile, but in cooler areas its pollen can be useless.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM67 View Post
              I'm seriously running out of contained rain water to keep my newly planted lot of blueberry plants watered enough.
              Yes, even with 1000 litres of water butts, some years they're all used up by May and don't catch anything useful until October. So eventually my blueberries died off.
              Last year was unusually wet (but also sunny too) so I didn't need to use the water butts much (and didn't have any blueberries left) so the butts kept overflowing (never needed an overflow before!).

Comment

Originally posted by FB. View Post
                Yes, even with 1000 litres of water butts, some years they're all used up by May and don't catch anything useful until October. So eventually my blueberries died off.
                Last year was unusually wet (but also sunny too) so I didn't need to use the water butts much (and didn't have any blueberries left) so the butts kept overflowing (never needed an overflow before!).
                This morning's monsoon has certainly helped.
                .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Everything in full blossom.
                  I generally get none of it but do have happy plump birds in the garden most of the year.

If they are not happy and plump then they sit there looking at me waiting for food to be supplied. Which reminds me I need to build a new bird feeder.

Comment

Apple trees in full blossom a week earlier than last year. Summer raspberries looking good. Red currants are dripping with tiny fruits, even a one year old gooseberry is looking good. Its definitely warmed up here today in the Midlands and the frost risk is fast diminishing. Fingers will remain crossed for a week or so.

Comment

Along with my trees listed above which were not yet in flower, I also saw someone's Annie Elizabeth which was still dormant (I had more than one Annie in the past but their rootstocks died from crown rot).
                      They also had a Rubinette which was in full bloom and I thought the pinker-than-average flowers looked quite attractive; however the young tree is already suffering from canker.

Comment

There's really only one of my pear trees (Cherokee ) and the Falstaff, Granny Smith and Elstar apple trees that are thinking about flowering - all the rest are only "waking up" now.

Comment

Still a few apples to flower. A couple of unknown russets and some very tall standards.
                          I'm very pleased with this year's blossom. A tree (believed to have been grown from a cutting) and the new growth from the stump of an apple that fell down years ago are both covered in flowers.
                          Thank you, FB, for recommending Irish Peach. Its been beautiful - hoping for my first apples this year.

Comment

Lots of blossom on the trees and strawberries are doing fantastic.

Attached Files
                            What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                            Pumpkin pi.

Comment

The high winds over the last couple of days has knocked the blossom about a bit in the fruit trees. Just hoping there'll be some left
                              What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                              Pumpkin pi.

Comment

only my pears have blossomed so far this year but everthing is budding and leafing up nicely, even the greengage - I put it down to my expert pruning of course
                                82.6% of people believe any statstic!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X