No announcement yet.

Vine Weevil

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much have you got? Birds love bugs, could you spread on some empty compost bags in the garden and let the birds get at it. They are only a problem in pots. I think the councils compost/recycling system would be ok too - aren't they heat treated?

Welcome to the vine Polly why don't you pop over and introduce yourself? Tell us what you grow and where you grow it.

Comment

Our local council puts a restriction on brown bins: no soil. I assume this applies to compost.

Mind you, our local council restricts shredded paper in the recycling bin.
      Forgive me for my pages of text.

Comment

Council brown bins should only be for garden waste and not for waste compost.

One method to kill them is to place the compost minus any plants in a black bin bag with grubs, adults and all and air-tight seal it then leave for this year. The grubs will die with no plant roots to live on, if they pupate to adults then they can't escape, even if they mate then the eggs if laid and hatched have nothing to survive with. Next year you can use the compost for mulching or adding to the soil as the weavils will be no more.
        The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

Easy to become paranoid about vine weavils but don't forget they only effect a small group of plants. I have awful soil so for me to get rid of compost would be a sin. I spread it where the soil is the worst, heavy wet places, even the the veg patch. You will never get rid of bugs, they happen. It only when they exist in large numbers they are a pest. My flower beds could be full of them for all I know, though I'm happy with the results so I don't look for the weevils. Spreading the contaminated compost thinly will put their numbers probably down to where they naturally occur, unless it goes on your Strawberry bed . If effected compost is spread where there is nothing the weavils like they will not be a problem, birds will balance it up.

Comment

Originally posted by AkionTotocha View Post
            Our local council puts a restriction on brown bins: no soil. I assume this applies to compost.
            Originally posted by Muddy_Boots View Post
            Council brown bins should only be for garden waste and not for waste compost.
            Possibly due to the weight restriction? All recycling centres take soil I think although you would have to make a trip. I don't have a council "garden waste" bin.

Originally posted by lookbettertomorow View Post
            Easy to become paranoid about vine weavils but don't forget they only effect a small group of plants. If effected compost is spread where there is nothing the weavils like they will not be a problem, birds will balance it up.
            Yes so agree, they are only a problem in pots. If the pots are tipped up on the surface the birds should get most of them.

Comment

Been bothered a lot up to this season with a lot of them and others. Spoke to C.T..S. about this and was advised to try compost with Exemtor [not sure of spelling] in it. Cost more for a bag but so far [touch wood] have had no problems. Had a lot of problems with greenfly on my peppers but not this season so far.
              Bob

Comment

Thank you everyone for the replies and advice. Please excuse me for not replying separately.

I thought that disposing of the grubby compost would be a bit drastic and I'm relieved that it isn't strictly necessary and I'm glad I asked. I've spread it all out (the neighbours think I've taken leave of my senses) on the drive and invited the local birds round.

I think I panicked a bit because the damned things had munched through about a square yard of London Pride in a big raised bed that I wanted to put tomatoes in and were in two big troughs with my strawberries. I was particularly miffed because the strawberries live in the big troughs because the ground is almost pure clay and to keep the slugs off them.

I can't put compost in my council garden & food waste bin, but I can put shredded paper and pizza boxes in it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X