Wilko raspberry canes, worth it?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by libbyloulou View Post
    That plant will be alive at least up to the next bud,you may scratch above the next bud and it could be dead
    (or alive) you could do that all way up if you wanted.If you find it's dead after x amount of buds,trim the plant off just above the last live bud.
    If these are autumn rasperries shouldn't they be cut right back anyway as soon as they are planted?

Comment

I would cut back all Raspberry canes on planting, and sacrifice any Year One crop for the longer term strong development of the roots system and better production in future years.

"Long Canes" are sold with the promise of a crop in Year One. Waste of money in my book, and avoids cutting back which, also in my book!, would be much better for the long term production from the crop.
      Last edited by Kristen; 11-03-2015, 09:46 AM.
      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Raspberry canes

I have a full row of summer variety canes, Or earlys if you prefer, And two rows of Autumn/late varieties, Ive had them 5 or so years and they always crop well. None of them yet have any sign of life. If they had I would be concerned. Sure yr canes will burst into life in a few weeks or so

Comment

My autumn raspberries have just broke through the soil with new shoots, I cut last years canes down to just above ground level at Christmas and expect another good crop this year.
          I planted a small row of summer variaties last spring that were bough as cell grown plants, they were only a couple of inch high and some are about 3-4 foot in height now, I expect my first fruit off them this year as well.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X