Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberry Fields...

Hi
    Have had a wonderful time with the strawberries, my first "glut" and how wonderful that is.

My strawberry bed is in its first full year(some plants were in pots last year and I grew new plants from their runners and some seeds), however I have decided there are about 15 plants (and why didn't I keep the labels???) which I don't like very much, very small, very dark red and very pippy and rather meaty. I want to dig these up, would it be OK to plant up some runners from the strawberry plants I do like and this autumn plant them in the vacated space?
    Would I get disease this way, ie replanting the same plant in the same place or would it be OK?
    best wishes
    Sue

Hello Sue, the usual method is just to peg in the runners from the parents in the strawberry bed, then once estabished , dig out the old plants you don't want. I think you will be fine with your plans. Enjoy your strawberries. Mine are still green.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Alice
      Many thanks, I'll go ahead then, although perhaps not today as we had torrential rain yesterday with more forecast - would get very wet and muddy so will sow seeds and might even do some pot washing....
      And when we in the south have gobbled all our strawberries, you will be just about to tuck in yourself - enjoy
      best wishes
      Sue

Comment

I'm sick of strawbs now... and all this rain has made them big but fairly tasteless. They really needed some heat to bring out some flavour. There's always next year...
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Two Sheds
          Make jam, make icecream! I must admit I haven't got sick of them yet, will I ever... but I agree all this rain is making them lose their special taste but will keep up with the jam and icecream so I'll have something to remember when the season is over.
          Sue

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X