• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
    Could it have been River? There's a cherry called Early Rivers
    Early Rivers cherry trees for sale | Buy online | Friendly advice
    Hi
    I misspelled the name of the cherry for sale at lidl it's rivan.
    I was able to find out a little more with the correct title.
    it's on a colt rootstock, and it's very early cropper, so with that in mind I picked one up, good strong plant
    feathered from top to bottom, ideal for me cos I want to train it cordon style, and because it's such an early cropper
    it should be a suitable pollinator for my merton glory
    Don't know if Rivan is self fertile or not.
    Kind regards
    loan
    If hind sight were fore sight
    we would all be better of a darn sight.

Comment

Cordon style cherry? You have my attention.

Have you tried this before, or ever seen any example?. I investigated doing a cordon style cherry a while ago but everything i read said that cordon style just wasn't appropriate. The reason I mention it, is that i have a plan for a couple of cordon trees in-front of my sheds and could always do with more cherries!

Comment

Originally posted by Valleyman View Post
        Cordon style cherry? You have my attention.

Have you tried this before, or ever seen any example?. I investigated doing a cordon style cherry a while ago but everything i read said that cordon style just wasn't appropriate. The reason I mention it, is that i have a plan for a couple of cordon trees in-front of my sheds and could always do with more cherries!
        Cordon cherry tree's are advertised, however these will probably be on a dwarfe rootstock , gisela I would
        think.
        The tree I purchased at lidl will be on a colt if my research into that vaeriety holds up, now the more vigorous the stock
        the more adept you need to be with the pruning, so for £3.99 I will be happy to learn
        I do have a few maiden varieties on the dwarf the rootstock to train as cordons, so it will be all to interesting for me to see how I shape up ( god loves a trier ).
        There is an erect variety called sylvia that is semi self fertile, also the leaves of this variety grow over the fruit and it helps
        keep the fruit dry ( the mind boggles )
        And yes I have one off those ( well two actually )
        good luck with your efforts.
        Kind regards
        ioan
        If hind sight were fore sight
        we would all be better of a darn sight.

Comment

I have to agree with the folk here who like to know what they are buying, I read through the other recent thread for fruit trees but from Ald1 and selected a couple based upon the customer services info that was forthcoming from them.

NorfolkGrey, I'd be tempted to send L1dl's CEO links to this thread so they can see the effects (and the number of folks that's read their poor customer service response)!

Good news being I took the info from Aldi's label, the customer service info and a bit of research and have decided how I want to grow my plum and cherry. Yesterday saw me playing with twine on my allotment to bring all the branches lower and perpendicular to the ground to dissuade the trees from growing too tall and to encourage lateral growth and later on, fruit.

It's also good to know what pests and diseases need to be prepared against.

Thanks to all who have researched above and beyond on this site!
          Last edited by Bohobumble; 22-02-2015, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Hi I have a cherry tree labelled and sold to me as stella from a local nursery at a high price, which has never fruited and has double flowers so I doubt it really is a stella. Given this failure I purchased another cherry sylvia from a popular catalogue it arrived snapped and did not grow at all when I complained another tree was sent but again did not grow although instructions were followed to the letter and planting was immediately on arrival. I have given up on cherries....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X