No announcement yet.

Walnut trees - Have I been conned?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd give then a ring- or email them with photos and specifically say you were expecting grafted trees.
    If they are not grafted, could you ask to return them and have replacement grafted ones in their place.

I have known suppliers to agree to similar types of exchanges, but say to keep what you've already got as well because of the hassle of costs involved.

You never know!

No harm in a polite and friendly conversation- you may come off better in the end.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Are grafted ones generally more expensive?

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
        Are grafted ones generally more expensive?
        No knowledge in the matter, but I would expect so:

Grow rootstock (no different to "grow cutting" or "sow seed" in that regard I suspect)

Graft it - labour involved

Chop off the top growth of original plant, presumably that sets the grower back a year, or two, in order to get the plant back to a large enough size to sell.

Presumably some grafts fail - dunno how many, but if a significant number that will also bump up the price.
        K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I was just wondering if badilly had paid a low price for a grafted tree..... or a high price for a seedling?

Could you presume from the price paid what you'd be expecting to get??

I know it's hard to tell as quality/age will also be a factor in pricing......but I just just wondered if there might be something comparable?
          Last edited by Nicos; 14-02-2015, 05:06 PM.

Comment

From a local-ish Walnut grower's site
            Benefits of Grafted Walnut Trees over Seedling Trees

Comment

Originally posted by badilly View Post
              Hi I have bought online two named walnut trees - Franquette and Broadview, and a cherry -Penny. These have just arrived and they are fairly small at about 3'6" feet tall for the walnuts ( although the tops have been nipped out so they probably would have been c. 4.5' tall) - less for the cherry c.3'

However I can see no sign of a graft on any of the trees. Previous cherries I've had have been clearly grafted so I' very suspicious there but what about walnuts?
              Have I just been sent rootstocks or could these be genuine?

By the way these weren't cheap - £35 each and £18 for the cherry.
              I'd appreciate any advice . Thanks
              Hi
              why not get them on the blower to give them the chance to explain what exacctly has arrived.
              I bought a number of cherries and apples from keepers nurseries this season all my ordering was conducted over the phone, talked me through practicaly every variety, pollination, rootstock,
              proper gent he was, and I paid much the same as you.
              you are due an explanation as to what you have purchased I reckon.
              I also purchased a couple lapins cherry from branch nurseries on colt rootstock, they do sell on
              e bay but again I did it on the blower, once again proper gent, sent me two cracking bushes that I had
              requested, six quid a piece same as e bay price. Could see the graft a mile off.....
              and I received the order before he had my cheque.
              I do enjoy looking through the various websights, but when I make a warlike move with my money,
              I get on the blower and relay what I want for my money, and thay can tell me what thay have to offer.
              so far so good.
              I sincerely hope you get satisfaction.
              If there is one thing that gives me the raving pip...... its ordering one thing and recieving another.
              kind regards
              ioan
              if there is on thing that gives me
              If hind sight were fore sight
              we would all be better of a darn sight.

Comment

Seed grown walnuts are not a problem , Walnuts usually grow true to type, we have lots of seed grown ones around a giant size one that has to be about 20+ meters high , all the nuts look the same, trees that were 2 foot high and half inch wide 4 years ago are producing nuts now so they dont need to be that old to fruit either
                Last edited by starloc; 14-02-2015, 07:18 PM.
                Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

The supplier's website says they supply cherries on various rootstocks, so that should have a graft. But it says the walnuts are hybrids. I can't see any mention of grafting or rootstocks for them.
                  Last edited by Zelenina; 14-02-2015, 07:33 PM. Reason: I wanted to

Comment

Hi everyone, thanks for all the replies, sorry I've not been back to you before now - went out last night!

I think my next step is to contact the nursery - I just wanted to be sure of my ground beforehand.

If you click on the cherries on the website the first menu you come to is a list of rootstocks to choose from ( colt, Gisele etc.)so presumably, by definition, these HAVE to be grafted. Mine isn't

I was expecting grafted walnuts, and while it may not explicitly state they are grafted , I don't believe it is possible to get true to type without it ( after all, a 'variety' is an exact clone not something that is( or is not) close).

So are you lot convinced there is no way these very young trees can be grafted without it being fairly obvious?

Comment

I find grafts pretty obvious usually. If you want to check then maybe take photos of the stems and see if we can see anything.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

They could have been micrografted , unlikely ( in this country? ) but possible!, grafted when seedling rootstock is very young or grafted invitro to tiny micropropagated rootstock , the scar would be so clean you would probably not see it

People have been doing it since the mid 80s
                        Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X