No announcement yet.

Bramley apple- what to do for the best?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The suckers might be to do with a plum tree. There is a plum 3m-ish away and the surface roots are suckering even in the gaps of the concrete patio. I am not really glamourising the state of my inheritated trees am I

I don't know if I have said this before, so sorry if I have. The plum has fruited well the last two years and has some new growth. Also in the back with these two trees there is a pear (possibly a williams) 5m tall plenty of new short stubby growth. I only say this in the hope you might say that disease doesn't look like the be all and end all in my garden

If I replace it I would go for a tree that grows 4m max. ideally a cooker but not fussed about season.

In the front I have inherited a possible worcester and one other (suggestions on another thread were ellisons orange/ ribston pippin) and planted a cox, golden del and bramley). So if I replaced it would be my final plant so something a little special/different.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
      hope you might say that disease doesn't look like the be all and end all in my garden
      No, it probably isn't the end of your garden because it's a common disease. But it could be the end for any plants which are particularly susceptible if the conditions are right for the disease to attack (it prefers to attack plants which are already stressed by flooding/drought/competition/starvation etc or plants with wounds), so I would be wary of MM106 rootstock which I've lost by the dozen to crown rot (and MM106 doesn't do well in dry summers - it seems as if extremes of wet or dry can cause MM106 to get stressed and subsequently infected with crown rot).

If I replace it I would go for a tree that grows 4m max. ideally a cooker but not fussed about season........if I replaced it would be my final plant so something a little special/different.
      What about one of these - in spring I grafted a couple onto MM111 from my tree of this variety - the fuss is probably over since plans for site redevelopment were approved many months ago, but the web-page remains:
      Save The Milton Wonder Campaign - Help Save this Precious Ancient Oxfordshire Apple Tree from Destruction

Comment

What have you started?

I just looked at Fruit Trees- Historic Varieties Grown and Supplied by Bernwode Fruit Trees for milton wonder and came across Foulden Pearmain.

Oh thank you - although I think I better start saving my pennies

It is so nice when you get a completely unexpected end/twist when you ask something here if you can't tell - Thank you! Thank you! Thank you that has made my day

I have just seen their price list and it is not scary - even better.
        Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 03-08-2015, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
          Oh thank you - although I think I better start saving my pennies
          A ~2ft tall, potted, baby Milton Wonder MM111 maiden whip is yours for free if you want it, and/or a piece of MM106 and/or MM111 rootstock.
          The MW MM111 didn't get much attention this year (baby boy at the start of the year) and combined with my supply of layered rootstocks having only a few cotton-thread size roots, and with the mild sunny summer my newly-grafted potted trees went a bit short of water and could do with growing-on for another season before planting out.

I started a topic about newly-grafted fruit trees in the summer:
          http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ees_79924.html

Comment

For anyone following this thread and wondering what happened. My bramley has met its maker unfortunately and after seeing the root it has reassured me (on top of the comments and advice) that this was the right thing.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X