Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Is that Pollarding?
    Yes, but I intend to harvest the many quick growing branches as individual trees.
    Each branch should produce a tree that thinks it is several years old.
    Thereby producing fruit in the first season.
    To help the young trees grow, I will not allow any fruits to grow until the second year.
    This gives the plant more energy to grow.
    I am expecting a minimum of eight trees per trunk.

Comment

Still curious about this working as well as you say.
      Old apple trees in this garden, that have become unsafe and had to be cut back, do produce new young branches - not seen any fruit on them though!

Comment

I've got an old eating apple that was chopped right back - it's a mass of small twiggy branches, it should really be cut down, it does fruit but they are always very small. I keep the tree because it's in a "forgotten" part of my garden.

Comment

Originally posted by Philplot View Post
          Yes, but I intend to harvest the many quick growing branches as individual trees.
          I've never tried any grafting. What root stock are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            I've never tried any grafting. What root stock are you using?
            I will be planting the branches direct into large 100L tubs
            Air layering should give them a great start.

Comment

I still think stay on the side of caution. By all means sacrifice one as an experiment if you have no issues with it going horribly to pot. But you are asking a lot from a parent tree and potential off spring in a very short space of time as far as fruit trees are concerned.

Comment

Do you mean you'll be bending the branches down into the pots? or cutting them off?
                Either way they will be on their own roots, not a dwarfing rootstock, so may grow even larger than the parent tree.
                Can you give us a link to the site where you have found this method please? I'm still curious and confused

Comment

I will be planting the branches direct into large 100L tubs
                  Air layering should give them a great start.
                  Does that work for fruit trees?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    Do you mean you'll be bending the branches down into the pots? or cutting them off?
                    Either way they will be on their own roots, not a dwarfing rootstock, so may grow even larger than the parent tree.
                    Can you give us a link to the site where you have found this method please? I'm still curious and confused
                    I got the details of some crazy site about a week ago
                    I think it is called "growfruitandveg.co.uk"
                    Don't bother going onto their site, they are all a bunch of mad gardeners.

Since then I have read up on the topic, and it seems to work for almost any tree.

With careful pruning of the young trees, I will keep them at 2meters in height on an esplanade.
                    This part, I am experienced in, and already have half a dozen trained fruit trees.

Comment

So you've been wasting our time? I'm not impressed and I don't suppose many others who have given you their advice freely and willingly are either.
                      Maybe you'd like to rethink calling us and this forum a "crazy site".

Comment

Well I am shocked.
                        A remark intended to be numerous has been taken offensively.
                        I shall refrain from any more activity on this site.
                        Thanks for all the help from previous postings.
                        No offense intended, but I must leave now

Comment

I will be at least 5 months before the new branches start to grow.
                          But here is a drawing I found

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50668[/ATTACH]
                          If anyone hadn't already guessed, this drawing has been lifted from an unrelated website
                          Mature Tree Pruning | Buena Vista Arbor Care

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X