No announcement yet.

Wild Blackberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eheh I have eaten them straight from the bushes for ages and I'm ok. If there were any beasties, well, is just protein lol

Jokes aside, the suggestion of the salted water is what we do in the professional kitchen.

Can anyone suggest how can I grow and care for some wild blackberries and raspberries?

I found some bushes in a area near me and wanted to have some in my new garden.

Comment

There are no nasties in blackberries or raspberries. No, no, no, no!

Wish I'd never read this thread. I always assumed that a quick casual glance was enough and I'm not going to change the habits of a lifetime now.

Comment

I just eaten them straight from the bush too..It can't be that bad because i am still doing it

Comment

A friend of mine just posted a video of his dog eating wild blackberrys straight off the bush whilst out for a walk. She only ate the ripe ones though
          Nannys make memories

Comment

Originally posted by TrialAndError View Post

Wish I'd never read this thread. I always assumed that a quick casual glance was enough and I'm not going to change the habits of a lifetime now.
            They only get really maggotty later in the season when you need to check more carefully as you pick. I tend to keep and eye out while I'm picking we ate a lot yesterday about 2 hours after picking and nothing had crawled out (which they do tend to do if you put them in the fridge.) Later on I just cook them and skim anything obvious off the top. I never wash as we are so far from a road there is no dust and I think it spoils the flavour. Having said that I will give the quick rinse in salty water a go and see what happens - could put me off for life!

As kids we were always told that it had only been eating blackberries so that's what it would taste of - this was why you didn't eat worms - they taste of soil!
            "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

There is a growing movement trying to encourage people to eat insects and bugs, such as mealworms etc., as part of our diet to reduce the impact of protein production, so any 'extras' are not nasties, they're an unexpected bonus!
              What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
              Pumpkin pi.

Comment

Originally posted by TrialAndError View Post

yeeeeaahhh........eat more, much more....

Comment

Originally posted by Nannysally99 View Post
                  A friend of mine just posted a video of his dog eating wild blackberrys straight off the bush whilst out for a walk. She only ate the ripe ones though
                  My dog does that too, she loves coming with me to pick blackberries but she's so quick she gets all the juiciest ones first!
                  The best things in life are not things.

Comment

I open freeze quite a lot of blackberries and don't wash them before doing so. However, I only freeze berries which have a green coloured base to the fruit when they have come off the cane (i.e. look underneath the fruit at the circular mark where they were attached to the cane). These ones are almost always free of well developed maggots, although maybe not eggs. In my experience, brown or reddy coloured marks usually mean unwanted guests have already arrived. I could be wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by Verinda View Post
                      My dog does that too, she loves coming with me to pick blackberries but she's so quick she gets all the juiciest ones first!
                      Foxes and badgers love blackberries. It's not unusual to find bright purple badger poo full of seeds in the runs in the autumn. My horses will also pick them a delicate operation which makes them look like short nosed elephants.
                      "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X