No announcement yet.

Just 1 blueberry bush

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get reasonable anount of fruit and have just the one, apparently they ae self fertile but not greatly so a second one is advantageous. Well I don't get them the blackbird tends to, but as he is happy and fat and defends the bush against all comers, I assume it is productive.

Feed is generally a ericaceous one I have, but any manure and chicken poo pellets get added if spare.

I should probably should look at a bigger pot to hopefully increase the bush size.

Comment

I have only one blueberry bush. When I bought it about 5 years ago I was told it was a species originally from Georgia in the US. Last year I had a decent crop and this year also a very good crop and very large berries. Unfortunately most of the berries were covered with tiny white spots. Does anyone know what this is and if it effects the edibility of the berries? The bush is growing in a very large tub in a mainly peat based soil mix. I use the water from the airconditioners when I do not have rain water.

Comment

Originally posted by boatsman View Post
        I have only one blueberry bush. When I bought it about 5 years ago I was told it was a species originally from Georgia in the US. Last year I had a decent crop and this year also a very good crop and very large berries. Unfortunately most of the berries were covered with tiny white spots. Does anyone know what this is and if it effects the edibility of the berries? The bush is growing in a very large tub in a mainly peat based soil mix. I use the water from the airconditioners when I do not have rain water.

Are the berries shriveled?
        http://jonnash-cms.co.uk

Comment

No they are not shriveled, quite the contrary, they are very large.

Comment

I only came across one disease that affects the berries with spots, but that was pink spots underneath the berry. Thought that you may have mistaken the colours, but looking last night the pink is a very bright colour so cannot be that.

Did find this last night for you, although this affects the berries and leaves.
            The NC Blueberry Journal: Exobasidium fruit and leaf spot

Comment

I have 3 bushes which were laden with fruit until our blackbird seem to teach the youngsters to eat(it was raining heavy and I wasn't going out in that) and in less than 2 days they had stripped the lot, and yes, I WILL net them next year, the birds can go "out" for their meals , In someone elses garden...

Comment

Originally posted by DWSmith
                I had 3 bushes for a couple of years and last year got a few berries from one bush. I put in 6 more this year.

This year was an odd year for so many things. They didn't bloom not that I expected the new ones to bloom. My forsythias didn't bloom!!! (That's my sign that it's spring.) My magnolia didn't bloom.

Crazy stuff going on in my part of the world.

Oh, and 1 more thing I heard a couple of weeks ago that I want to run past you. Is it true that blueberry bushes take 7 or 8 years to begin producing? If so, I wonder how old they are when I bought them.
                Blueberries start producing from the second year, they are at full productive when they reach 6 year old(probably different for each variety).

Going back to the first thing you said. The chill hours determines if your blueberries will produce fruit. Not enough chill hours, will not produce flowers that can be pollinated. I can see you from U.S.A, so don't know if your area is better to grow a northern or a southern high bush. Could this be the problem your blueberries did'nt bloom?

I just realized all my blueberries plants are northern high bushes. Last winter was quite mild so would a southern high bush be more suitable for my area, Swansea, U.K? I noticed all the British nurseries only sell northern high bushes, might be wrong tho.

Comment

I have one quite old blueberry bush, I never feed it yet it produces loads of fruit every year. At the moment all the fruit is still green so I am hoping they'll be enough sunshine to turn them blue
                  The best things in life are not things.

Comment

Originally posted by whiskyman View Post
                    I only came across one disease that affects the berries with spots, but that was pink spots underneath the berry. Thought that you may have mistaken the colours, but looking last night the pink is a very bright colour so cannot be that.

Did find this last night for you, although this affects the berries and leaves.
                    The NC Blueberry Journal: Exobasidium fruit and leaf spot
                    Thank you for your prompt reply. I checked out the above site but there is nothing there that helps me. I the mean time I have removed the white spots and washed the berries so hope they will be OK. In previous years I have picked the berries when they were much smaller but this year after seeing a youtube video on how to pick the berries I waited until the berries literally rolled off the plant when my fingers touched them. Don't know if there is any connection with this later harvesting. Incidently where exactly is Ystradgynlais in relation to Swansea?

Comment

When you said white spots, thought they were permanent markings/discolouring of the berries. If the spots could be wiped off then some kind of mold? I would think there not enough air flow, I'm no expert tho.

Ystradgynlais is 18 miles north of Swansea. Past Pontardawe, Ystalyfera, then the next village.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X