Mirabelle pruning guidance please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirabelle pruning guidance please

Took receipt of my new Mirabelle De Nancy today, and have potted it up and put it in position. It's a lovely shape tree for my garden, with the exception of a 20" branch jutting out into the garden and which needs removing.

The tree was received in a 10L pot, so there has been minimal root disturbance to it. Based on that I'm not too concerned about the tree getting "settled in" before taking the secateurs to it. However, being a "stone fruit", even though it is stoneless, I'm a little wary about timing for lopping the offending branch off. Would now be a good time ... or more specifically, would I get away with doing it now as it's in the way and would be a royal pain in the derriere if I left it for any length of time.

Cheers

Stone fruits should be pruned when in leaf. What type of tree is "Mirabelle?"

Comment

Stoneless French plum. So you reckon now is a good time Wendy? (yes, it's in leaf)

Comment

Um, you're going to be disappointed, mirabelles definitely have a stone. Adds up to quite a few when you're making jam.

I'd procrastinate for a few weeks.

Comment

Interesting .... not what the seller claims ...

Mirabelle de Nancy Fruit Trees For Sale Blackmoor Nurseries

Comment

Not to hijack the thread and I amafraid i am going to sound stupi but I guess Peach also falls in category if stone fruit??

If yes should i Prune it now??

Its 1 year old container grown and will go in the ground tomm.
            Its full of leaf and has 3 peaches (size of pea)

What should I do ???

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Plum trees can get a disease called silver leaf. The idea of pruning them in full leaf, I.e active growth is that the wounds heal quicker and so less chance of the disease entering wounds. Can't remember if it is bacterial or fungal. Don't know if peaches get silver leaf, the one we had always got peach leaf curl!

Comment

All in containers....I think it means that the stone is free from the flesh ie easy to remove. Peaches can be free stone too.
                I think your plum should be OK to prune now, in the formative years it's usually done in late spring/early summer and later (after fruiting) on older trees. Same for peaches, as to avoid baterial canker entry, the wounds have time to heal before winter.

Comment

Ahhhhh, thats makes more sense. I was getting quite confused about the stone free thing. Cheers Sean

Thanks for the nod on the pruning too, I'll get that done tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by AllInContainers View Post
                    Ahhhhh, thats makes more sense. I was getting quite confused about the stone free thing.
                    That's something new I have learnt today ... what an amazing piece of babble-speak, eh?!!
                    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Absolutely! I might start referring to my trousers as fat free, because my belly isn't attached to them

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X