Olive Tree Help

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olive Tree Help

Hello, I was given an olive tree for my birthday in June but it is now looking very sorry for its self. Is it on its way out?
    I know I need to bring it in over winter but don't have a porch, conservatory or porch to keep it in. Do you think it would survive in a central heated hall next to the window?
    Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app
    Attached Files

My olive tree lives outside all year round and has done for about 6 years. I don't think it would be happy in a centrally heated house
    Are the leaves on yours dead? Its difficult to tell from the photo. Has it dried out?

Comment

Hello

I can't really see from your photo what is up with your olive, sorry, but this is my experience.

We have an olive which has lived in a pot outside in Devon, Oxfordshire and Bucks with no ill effects or special treatment other than being tucked up against a wall.

It is now planted outside in the ground, again next to a south facing wall of the house, is regularly snowed on and has survived temperatures down to -18 for a prolonged period. Most of my other tender plants perished.
      It has dropped all its leaves twice since being in the ground, but comes back again.

No doubt someone can advise about the indoors option.
      Last edited by PyreneesPlot; 04-10-2013, 02:10 PM.
      Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Here is a close up of the leaves, most are crispy and falling off but there are a few healthy green ones. I wasn't sure if it was meant to drop its leaves for winter or not.

Attached Files

Comment

They are not really an indoor plant so I do not think it would survive a winter inside.

Would soil type do olives prefer, just wondering if the soil it is in could be a problem. All the potted olives I have seen appear to be in a fairly poor looking sandy soil. Your pot looks like it is a compost of sorts and not what I would have thought right.

Would suggest something like 1/3 compost and 2/3 JI No2. Think No2 is the one but never can recall the difference between No2 and No3.

I have a lime and getting the soil right for it has taken a couple of attempts. It now seems to be recovering from the first repot that started the mess.

Like others I would find a spot for it that is sheltered and leave it outside, you may want to wrap the pot to prevent total freezing of the soil and roots if the winter gets overly cold, perhaps a cover for the main plant also under the same circumstances.

Comment

I planted mine in the front garden - don't feed it at all. Its a tough regime here - grow or die It lost some leaves during the heavy snow 2 years ago and I thought it was a gonna, but it just put out more healthy shoots and looks better than ever.

Comment

Thanks for your help. I repotted it today and topped it up with compost in case it wanted a bigger pot. I shall undo it tomorrow!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X